S/O Ungrateful Gifts

Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

A xmas wish list is just that a "wish list" or a guideline not an exact gift list.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:26 am I think it would be nice if friends and family bought your kids what they'd like. But I do think it's wrong for you to tell them to stick to the list. Maybe they have something special that they'd prefer to give.
Conweis wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:14 am I know what my kids want and I need to not have crap they won't use cluttering my home.
The last thing to get on my older three kids list is as followed:
Pajamas
Slippers
Wireless headphones
Gym membership for ds15
12 W shoes for ds15
D&D board/map and starter pack for ds14
12 W boots for ds14
5.5 W boots for ds12

Little ones
Anything:
PJ masks
Paw Patrol
Octonaunts
Wall-E (surprisingly)
Wire headphones

I made it clear, unless you are giving them GC to Amazon, Google or Walmart stick to the list. Before someone asks about books... my kids get between five to 10 books each every Christmas and everyone already has bikes/scooters.

Why is the list so hard for people? I have everything ready for buy on Monday. For the last month the list hasn't changed and yet, family seems to have an issue with what to give the older kids.

Am I wrong with telling people to stick to the list?
My kids are always grateful for what they get.
Almost everything people suggested or said they were giving my kids has been LEGOS and sports balls. It is all fine and dandy except, I have three 27 gallon tote filled with legos and other building type toys. My kids will put the lego set together once Star Wars/Minecraft whatever and then it will get mixed in with the rest of the legos. And I have a 10 by 10 by 12 shed 3/4 filled up with sports and camping equipment.
To make it worse my shed has to be replaced and I let people know this. My shed has to be replaced, so dont give the kids anything that will have to be put in the shed.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:43 am I hope your kids aren't as ungrateful as you are .
My kids are happy for whatever they get. I just dont want people wasting their money on something that will be used once and they take up space until it is threw out or given away.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I hate to see people spend money on something that doesn't get used. And I believe in giving to the needy every chance I get. So, that's what we do with our land of misfit gifts. We smile and say thank you when we receive them. And then we donate them. Win/win.

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:28 pm That seems to be the attitude that the OP has. If it's not on the list, don't bother. I've never made lists for my kids and don't have piles of clutter everywhere. People give us what they want to give us, we say thank you and show interest, give it some time, and if it's something the kids use, we keep it, if it doesn't get a lot of use and won't in the future, we rehome it. Our kids each have their own bin for toys and if the bin gets full, they have to choose some things to rehome before they add new things to it.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:18 pm I think that items not on the list aren't automatically unwanted. They just might turn out to be unwanted and land in the clutter pile. To increase the likelihood that the kid might like what I get them, I would try to stick to the IDEAS mentioned to me. That's not to say that every gift that ISN'T on the list would be disliked, though.

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:57 am Why is something not on the list automatically unwanted? It's that attitude that there's no way her children could find joy in anything that is not on that list that just sounds spoiled and ungrateful.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

You sound so entitled, buy my kids what is on a list or dont buy anything. So entitled.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That is basically what we do. We don't ever throw things away, if they aren't getting used, we find them new homes.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:29 pm I hate to see people spend money on something that doesn't get used. And I believe in giving to the needy every chance I get. So, that's what we do with our land of misfit gifts. We smile and say thank you when we receive them. And then we donate them. Win/win.

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:28 pm That seems to be the attitude that the OP has. If it's not on the list, don't bother. I've never made lists for my kids and don't have piles of clutter everywhere. People give us what they want to give us, we say thank you and show interest, give it some time, and if it's something the kids use, we keep it, if it doesn't get a lot of use and won't in the future, we rehome it. Our kids each have their own bin for toys and if the bin gets full, they have to choose some things to rehome before they add new things to it.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:18 pm I think that items not on the list aren't automatically unwanted. They just might turn out to be unwanted and land in the clutter pile. To increase the likelihood that the kid might like what I get them, I would try to stick to the IDEAS mentioned to me. That's not to say that every gift that ISN'T on the list would be disliked, though.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:44 pm That is basically what we do. We don't ever throw things away, if they aren't getting used, we find them new homes.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:29 pm I hate to see people spend money on something that doesn't get used. And I believe in giving to the needy every chance I get. So, that's what we do with our land of misfit gifts. We smile and say thank you when we receive them. And then we donate them. Win/win.

Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Damn!
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It also seems strange to me that her main concern is clutter, but almost everything on her younger kids list are cluttery character toys that her kids could lose interest in and outgrow at any time...
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:53 pm Image
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:44 pm That is basically what we do. We don't ever throw things away, if they aren't getting used, we find them new homes.

Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Why not donate all that stuff you keep in your shed? Why continue to stockpile unwanted unused "clutter" when there are many families who would love to have that "clutter"?
I'd call it greed
Locked Previous topicNext topic