Ungrateful people at Christmas time.

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My mother was not particularly gracious about gifts when I was growing up.

I suppose like anyone of us, she's overall a good person, but damn, she was cruel, very cruel and mean about gifts. I cried on multiple Xmas mornings because she didn't like my gifts, "oh look, something to dust." OR "What were you thinking, did you put any thought into this?" OR "what a waste of money" OR finally, "you mean you got me nothing?"

I am still anxious to this day, and have no idea what to buy the woman, although I think she is far more mellow in front of grandchildren, and has better manners.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

A gift card? Money?

Let her buy her own shit.

Personally? I really would buy her nothing and when she said something, I’d reply with I thought since you’re never happy that this would be best.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I think that if you don't know the recipient well enough to pick out something that you know they'd like, maybe you shouldn't even be buying for them.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That's never happened to me but I wouldn't get them anything ever again.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

I've never had anyone be ungrateful to my face but I have seen gifts I've given in the past unopened/unused later on in the year.
Everyone in my family knows not to be rude and ungrateful when they open a gift....but if they don't like it, they don't like it. We all just know better than to show it on our face or say something.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

One year I bought a bunch of halloween princess costumes on sale to give to my nieces for Christmas. My BIL sent me a link of princess dresses he would rather they have... they ranges around $50 each, I think. This was years ago.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

This exactly.

It's OK to not be fond of what you received. And I also think that if you don't like what you received it's OK to not use it or...gasp...give it away.

A gift is yours. You can do with it what you want. Just don't make a disappointed face when you get something that you really don't like.

Anonymous 7 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:42 am I've never had anyone be ungrateful to my face but I have seen gifts I've given in the past unopened/unused later on in the year.
Everyone in my family knows not to be rude and ungrateful when they open a gift....but if they don't like it, they don't like it. We all just know better than to show it on our face or say something.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

It hasn't happened to me but I make an effort to give gifts I know are wanted. I have no interest in wasting time or money.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:29 am I think that if you don't know the recipient well enough to pick out something that you know they'd like, maybe you shouldn't even be buying for them.
I never bought another damn thing for my niece or any other one of my SIL's kids that followed. They didn't get anything from us at all. That was the first year we exchanged gifts and the last. Worked out better that way.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I don't blame you. I wouldn't either.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:55 pm
Anonymous 6 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:29 am I think that if you don't know the recipient well enough to pick out something that you know they'd like, maybe you shouldn't even be buying for them.
I never bought another damn thing for my niece or any other one of my SIL's kids that followed. They didn't get anything from us at all. That was the first year we exchanged gifts and the last. Worked out better that way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic