Those who do a frugal Christmas

Anonymous 2

Unread post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 pm

I've got time on my side. I purchase throughout the year as I see things at a reasonable price. I do a lot of comparing prices online before I make the purchase, too.
Anonymous 1

Unread post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 pm

Well, you're wrong there. This isn't the direction I want this post to go though.
iamanon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm
I'm sorry. I'm still interested in learning tips & tricks, even from those who use them out of necessity.
iamanon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 pm
Well, most of us do it because we can't afford more.
hmmm..tips and tricks?
You just don't spend the money.
I'm guessing there is nothing you, your kids, your family, your friends NEED.
Anonymous 3

Unread post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 pm

iamanon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm
I'm sorry. I'm still interested in learning tips & tricks, even from those who use them out of necessity.
iamanon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 pm
Well, most of us do it because we can't afford more.
hmmm..tips and tricks?
You just don't spend the money.
I'm guessing there is nothing you, your kids, your family, your friends NEED.
You seem upset about this. Why not just ask for help in the angel tree post?
Anonymous 1

Unread post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 pm

How old are your children, if you don't mind me asking? I used to buy throughout the year, but DD is 10 now and she may love something in July but be completely over it by Christmas. Have you ever ran into anything like that?
Anonymous 2 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 pm
I've got time on my side. I purchase throughout the year as I see things at a reasonable price. I do a lot of comparing prices online before I make the purchase, too.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Regent
Regent
Posts: 3370
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 12:08 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Unread post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 pm

Anonymous 1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:48 pm
I was looking more for ideas on stocking stuffers and shopping tips.
KendallsMom wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:42 pm
We aren't frugal, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to spend money wisely if you have to.
Dollar Tree has super cute stocking stuffers!
Anonymous 4

Unread post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:55 pm

iamanon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 pm
Well, most of us do it because we can't afford more.
There is a difference between broke and frugal.
Msprekteacher
Duchess
Duchess
Posts: 1810
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Unread post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 pm

From the time the boys were born we told them every family sends Santa $$ for their family gifts and one families budget may be higher than another’s. So that started them understanding that even Santa has a budget.

We set a reasonable budget of $300 for each boy and stick to it. They make a list and know they won’t get everything on it.

I check all avenues for the best price and buy where it’s least expensive.

We are also blessed with LARGE families so even though we don’t spend a mortgage payment on gifts they are spoiled! My father in law for example asks for gift ideas between $50-$100 and will buy 3. My SIL has no kids so she spoils the boys and our niece. On my side they are 1 of 7 so the tree at my folks is packed too.

Just remember come January they have no clue how many presents were under the tree much less where those presents are!
iamanon
Duchess
Duchess
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Unread post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 pm

Anonymous 3 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 pm
iamanon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm
I'm sorry. I'm still interested in learning tips & tricks, even from those who use them out of necessity.

hmmm..tips and tricks?
You just don't spend the money.
I'm guessing there is nothing you, your kids, your family, your friends NEED.
You seem upset about this. Why not just ask for help in the angel tree post?
I'm not upset at all. I don't understand needing tips and tricks to not spend money. Seriously its not rocket science (I think someone else used that same wording in their response). You don't need any tricks or tips on not spending money. You just don't spend.
iamanon
Duchess
Duchess
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Unread post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Anonymous 4 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:55 pm
iamanon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 pm
Well, most of us do it because we can't afford more.
There is a difference between broke and frugal.
Yes there is.
If you are broke then you are forced to be frugal because you don't have any choice.
If you are frugal then you use common sense and constraint in your spending.
Yes there is a difference.
Anonymous 2

Unread post Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:09 pm

I've noticed that she's alluded to her situation in a couple different posts. iamanon, please consider making a list of some of the things you need via the Angel Post. If ever there was a time where members might help, this would be it.
Anonymous 3 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 pm
iamanon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 pm
I'm sorry. I'm still interested in learning tips & tricks, even from those who use them out of necessity.

hmmm..tips and tricks?
You just don't spend the money.
I'm guessing there is nothing you, your kids, your family, your friends NEED.
You seem upset about this. Why not just ask for help in the angel tree post?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic