Those who do a frugal Christmas

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's what I grew up with and what my mom grew up with in. It was common where she grew up in France. Oranges are symbolic of gold. Santa was not a thing for my dad's family in Japan, so we get most of our Christmas traditions from our mom.
Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:20 pm My kids have oranges in the fridge every day. This would seem like such a weird thing for them on Xmas morning. :lol:
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:18 pm I see Keith Haring AND a red panda. I think your 3 year old and I must be kindred spirits. :D

Do you just leave the stockings somewhat empty? When I fill a stocking, I REALLY fill it. Maybe that's part of my problem. (Nevermind, skipped over the part about the oranges and chocolates, I see it now!)
Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:12 pm We spend $150 per child and that's plenty for our kids. Our rules are stay in budget, they don't need every single things they ask for, and we don't get things unless we think the kids will really like and use them, no filler junk no matter how cheap it is. This is what we got the kids this year, the smaller things will go in stockings along with a few chocolates and an orange. They always have a great Christmas.
nine year old son-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.09 PM.png
eight year old son-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.17 PM.png
six year old daughter-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.24 PM.png
three year old son-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.31 PM.png
one year old son-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.38 PM.png
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:28 pm Yes! That sort of makes sense! It got me thinking and even though my kids are grateful, they're also spoiled. So while they would be thankful and happy with more frugal gifts, I think I just wouldn't enjoy it as much, because I really want to "wow" them! I guess others don't go for the wow factor as much.
Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 pm I think I understand where you are coming from. I am not frugal either. Nor am I bragging about my spending.

I think it is really tough to be frugal around the holidays, when you have spoiled kids. And my kids are TOTALLY materially spoiled by the time they hit school-age. They get items all year long, so although my kids have manners and would say, "thank you, I love it" for a roll of toilet paper -- to get an authentic "I love it" for a $50 gift & a cheaper-filled stocking, imo, we'd have to detox them & "deprive" during the year. No toys, no candy, bare necessities of clothes, etc. So when Xmas rolled around, a sweatshirt, some candy and special markers would seem special. Since our family doesn't do that, we have to give much bigger gifts to fulfill wants, as they have all the "cheaper stuff" already, does that make sense?

So that would be my hypothetical advice: Spend less on the children all year long, so a cheaper Xmas gifts would be more wanted...

I understand wanting the wow factor. That's what I aim for. She's always appreciative so I enjoy it as much as her.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I try to buy just a few things that they’ll really love. I’ve found they appreciate it more then a big pile of so so gifts.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

That makes sense! I refuse to buy junk just to fill a stocking too, but I try to find quality items to put in them. I'm not spending hundreds on stocking stuffers, but they do bring my Christmas bill up a good bit.
Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:30 pm They get one or two of their smaller sized gifts in their stocking, but the orange and chocolates. It's not full, but we think that's okay. If we filled it, we'd end up buying lots of junky nicknacks that they just don't need.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:18 pm I see Keith Haring AND a red panda. I think your 3 year old and I must be kindred spirits. :D

Do you just leave the stockings somewhat empty? When I fill a stocking, I REALLY fill it. Maybe that's part of my problem. (Nevermind, skipped over the part about the oranges and chocolates, I see it now!)
Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:12 pm We spend $150 per child and that's plenty for our kids. Our rules are stay in budget, they don't need every single things they ask for, and we don't get things unless we think the kids will really like and use them, no filler junk no matter how cheap it is. This is what we got the kids this year, the smaller things will go in stockings along with a few chocolates and an orange. They always have a great Christmas.
nine year old son-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.09 PM.png
eight year old son-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.17 PM.png
six year old daughter-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.24 PM.png
three year old son-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.31 PM.png
one year old son-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.38 PM.png
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I can understand that...but it was the easiest way to explain the disparity. How come Jonny got a yacht, and a car, and a new xbox and all I got was an orange and a peppermint stick? We also let them pick their favorite gift wrap-this year one picked the grinch and the other picked shoot...I forget....and we send it "to the North Pole" because that is how Santa knows whose house the gifts go to.

We make reindeer food, and they have a plate and mug to leave milk and cookies.

It works for us, but may not work for you.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:12 pm I just find that incredibly sad. For me it negates the whole meaning of "Santa".
Msprekteacher wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 pm From the time the boys were born we told them every family sends Santa $$ for their family gifts and one families budget may be higher than another’s. So that started them understanding that even Santa has a budget.

We set a reasonable budget of $300 for each boy and stick to it. They make a list and know they won’t get everything on it.

I check all avenues for the best price and buy where it’s least expensive.

We are also blessed with LARGE families so even though we don’t spend a mortgage payment on gifts they are spoiled! My father in law for example asks for gift ideas between $50-$100 and will buy 3. My SIL has no kids so she spoils the boys and our niece. On my side they are 1 of 7 so the tree at my folks is packed too.

Just remember come January they have no clue how many presents were under the tree much less where those presents are!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Oh, I definitely ran into that! I will tell you, though, my daughter is now grown. But here's what I did.

Just like your daughter, my daugther's likes changed with the seasons! But there were also constants. For instance, she never stopped loving reading. She never stopped loving theater. She never stopped loving cuddly stupid stuffed animals. And she loves one particular hockey team. She also seemed to fixate on one particular TV show for a period of time.

So...keeping her constants in mind, I'd buy things that tied into them. For instance, I might buy her a Tshirt with her favorite author's quote on it. Or I might buy her book ends with her favorite hockey team on them. Or I might look for tickets to a local musical. I always bought things that tied into her constants because I knew she was using and loving those constants. But I also always reserved about $50.00 for that last minute request of hers that might spring up about 2 weeks before Christmas!

It worked for me for 18 years! Try it!

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 pm How old are your children, if you don't mind me asking? I used to buy throughout the year, but DD is 10 now and she may love something in July but be completely over it by Christmas. Have you ever ran into anything like that?
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 pm I've got time on my side. I purchase throughout the year as I see things at a reasonable price. I do a lot of comparing prices online before I make the purchase, too.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:48 pm I was looking more for ideas on stocking stuffers and shopping tips.
KendallsMom wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:42 pm We aren't frugal, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to spend money wisely if you have to.
I'll try to be helpful, even though we usually don't HAVE to be frugal, and everyone else who answered seems to have a stick up their butt.

Buy throughout the year. Right after Christmas there are often deals on toys or Christmas-themed items. Depending on the age of your children and how "set" they are in their likes/dislikes/hobbies, you might find some good deals. (i.e "Character" items might not be a good idea for younger children who could outgrow their love for it in several months, but if you have an older child you know loves art, then maybe look for discounts on those types of items.) A lot of places do different sales throughout the year (think of things like spring clearance or Christmas in July) that you can take advantage of.

Look for good sales - especially, of course, things like Black Friday. Certain places have kick@ss deals on various things, often with coupons and points/rewards to make it better. Start planning ahead of time and get the best deal possible. One year I used a BF deal to get DS sneakers. I bought two pairs at a good price. One I gave him for Christmas. I bought him the same shoes (they were a bit pricier at the time) in the next size up and gave them to him for his birthday (which is in June.) (This only works if your child isn't picky about fashion. I KNOW mine likes to buy the same design most of the time and his feet grow slow so it worked for me.)

Stocking stuffers - you can use things you know they need anyway. Soap/body wash/toothbrush/etc. Get "fun" items at back-to-school time (cute pens/notebooks/art supplies) that are cheaper in July/August/September.

Remember that things don't always have to be new. Often you can find good deals on sites where people sell things, for things that are in good condition. This works especially well for younger kids with riding toys/play kitchens/etc, but never hurts to look for things older kids like as well. One of the most memorable gifts from my childhood was something my younger brother got. This present was HUGE (to us young kids) and wrapped really weird and we were both wondering what it could be. I remember being kind of jealous that he got this awesome-looking, biggest present there was. Turns out it was a He-Man castle (play-set size, not some life-size "play house" type thing) with tons of little He-Man character action figures. He just LOVED that thing and even I thought it was pretty neat. I thought I heard my mom say later on she got it at the thrift store (which would have been a good deal), but found out when I was much older that she got it for FREE from someone whose boys had outgrown/didn't want it (and He-Man was VERY much all the rage when he got it, it wasn't something 5 years old and "not cool" anymore).

Also avoid the "fad" toys or whatever's new and big that year. I always told my son that I wasn't buying anything he saw on commercials on TV because they were usually junk and overpriced (and us adults know they often quit playing with them quickly when they're not as cool as the ad makes them out to be). And for the "new and big" stuff, those things will often be cheaper in a month or two.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

What are some things that she seems to be interested in all year? Does she have a favorite TV show? Does she participate in any particular extra curricular activity? What's her favorite color? Favorite singer? Does she talk about what she wants to be when she grows up? What do YOU notice that she is particularly GOOD at? Is she a good writer? Buy her a kit to have her own book published! Stuff like that.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 pm How old are your children, if you don't mind me asking? I used to buy throughout the year, but DD is 10 now and she may love something in July but be completely over it by Christmas. Have you ever ran into anything like that?
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:50 pm I've got time on my side. I purchase throughout the year as I see things at a reasonable price. I do a lot of comparing prices online before I make the purchase, too.
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I always look black Friday ads and cyber Monday. I use to have a lot to spend at Christmas but due to employment issues I've had to cut back a lot.

I try to get the most wanted gifts. I just do the best I can with what i have.

We do a lot of activities that don't cost much like making Christmas projects, decorations and cookies.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

I buy things that will help them grow into good men instead of toys they'll use once.

So far this year I've bought ODS (14) 2 books, one is a book called "how to not be a dick" and the other is a book called " the manual to being a man". They're both tips and tricks that men should know. Everything from etiquette to tying a tie to changing a tire and cooking a steak. I also bought him a small survival kit that I should really get myself too. Things like a compass, small knife, ferro rod, one of those credit card sized multi tool, rip cords, flashlight, etc.
Those are his practical gifts. I've also gotten him a Nintendo Switch and a couple games.

For YDS (6), so far I've gotten him 2 joke books, one of those books with like 5000 facts about animals and the world. I also redocorated his bedroom with a dinosaurs theme and got a snap together builder set, kinda like a kinex set but not the same brand and plastic. I also got him a nerf gun.

I buy with a purpose and only get them things I know will be essential to their growth.

I might still do some shopping and get some random toys but all together with everything above I spent about $300 not including the Switch.

Its more about what the gift will provide my boys in their life than anything else.
I'm a strategist at heart. Everything i do has a reason behind it and the reason for my boys is to raise them into wonderful men.
Locked Previous topicNext topic