Dog question **edited

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I just adopted a dog today from a woman not a shelter. The dog has been eating wet food. I’m not a fan of wet food for dogs or cats. The woman claimed she tried every dry dog food available and the dog wouldn’t touch them. She did say the dog would eat dry cat food. Can you feed a dog dry cat food and still have it be healthy?

Another reason I don’t want to continue with wet food is sometimes the dog decides not to eat and I can’t be wasting money like that. If it ate it every time then ok no big deal. But if it doesn’t eat it then it gets expensive to waste it. It’s a 9 year old dog if that matters. It a medium size mutt about 40-45 lbs.

EDIT-
I haven’t had a dog in several years. I fed my first dog which I obtained from a family member the dry food she had been eating. When I got a puppy I fed it puppy food then that brand of regular food when it grew up both were dry foods. My childhood dog ate dry food. My cats eat dry food. I don’t like wet food. I was too lazy to try to research exactly WHY they are different. I did have dry DOG FOOD on hand from when my moms dog visits so I tried it today and I cooked an egg and mixed it in and the dog gobbled it up. My mom buys a high quality grain free dog food for her German Shepherd I will ask her the brand & flavor tomorrow. After I fed the dog the dry food with the egg it would eat it’s wet food 😂. So it’s trial & error I suppose. The dog was just seen at the vet prior to me getting her. Also I wasn’t planning on getting a dog, last week some lady at Walmart offered me $500 to take the dog because her neighbor was moving. I went to her house to meet it last week and told her & her neighbor to bring it to my house on Sunday to see how it did. The dog did well so they unloaded it’s crate & stuff. I was unaware until they brought in bags full of wet food that it ate wet food. I refused to take the $500 from them and the woman insisted so I proposed she go to the vet add the money to the dogs account and that way the money goes directly to the dog. The woman who organized this is 85 the woman who owned the dog was almost 70 they are neighbors at a senior citizen apartment building. The woman who owned it is leaving to move to Ireland in a couple weeks and was going to drop the dog off at a shelter. I also told the woman who organized this that I was only taking the dog if she intended to stay in contact with me so that she could continue being part of the dogs life. I intend to make a visit with the vet to establish myself at that office and update the dogs information although the woman called me today and said she took care of adding me as the new owner. I have all the records going back to 2014 nothing is specific about the dogs diet. It chews bones perfectly fine so I don’t think the teeth are fine and it’s last appointment was a couple months ago and nothing is listed as far as any health issue.

As far as “wasting money” I don’t continue to buy things my children waste I’m not doing it for my kids I’m not doing it for a pet. It’s common sense who can just afford to waste money 🙄
Anonymous 2

Unread post

You should not be a dog owner.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:20 pm I just adopted a dog today from a woman not a shelter. The dog has been eating wet food. I’m not a fan of wet food for dogs or cats. The woman claimed she tried every dry dog food available and the dog wouldn’t touch them. She did say the dog would eat dry cat food. Can you feed a dog dry cat food and still have it be healthy?

Another reason I don’t want to continue with wet food is sometimes the dog decides not to eat and I can’t be wasting money like that. If it ate it every time then ok no big deal. But if it doesn’t eat it then it gets expensive to waste it. It’s a 9 year old dog if that matters. It a medium size mutt about 40-45 lbs.
He's a senior so I wouldn't change what he's been used to all of his life now. He may have teeth issues too at that age that will make chewing difficult.

You don't have to throw it out. Leave it for him and if he doesn't eat in 15 minutes, then just put saran wrap over it and put it in the fridge if you serve it on a plate, or scoop it into a Tupperware container if you serve it in his bowl and stick it in the fridge. Save it for the next meal time.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
RestingBitchFace13
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:21 pm You should not be a dog owner.
Because I don’t like wet pet food? Some people feed their pets twizzlers and chocolate. At least dry cat food has more nutrition than that 🙄. I would rather make my own dog food than buy canned. Which is probably what I will end up doing. I just like dry food it’s easier and you can always have food available to an animal if you leave out a bowl of dry food. My adult cat always has a full bowl of food. My kitten came eating wet food I plan to transition it to dry food slowly in a few weeks. Hopefully by the 1st of the year the kitten will have transitioned. But the dog will most likely just eat the cats food anyway 🤷🏼‍♀️
Anonymous 3

Unread post

You shouldnt be a parent but unfortunately you probably are the mother of several snowflakes

OP take the dog to a vet and make sure there arent any dental issues then ask the vet for dog food recommendation.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

RestingBitchFace13 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:37 pm
Because I don’t like wet pet food? Some people feed their pets twizzlers and chocolate. At least dry cat food has more nutrition than that 🙄. I would rather make my own dog food than buy canned. Which is probably what I will end up doing. I just like dry food it’s easier and you can always have food available to an animal if you leave out a bowl of dry food. My adult cat always has a full bowl of food. My kitten came eating wet food I plan to transition it to dry food slowly in a few weeks. Hopefully by the 1st of the year the kitten will have transitioned. But the dog will most likely just eat the cats food anyway 🤷🏼‍♀️
Oops that pesky anon button
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Dogs and cats have different dietary needs. Dry cat food would not be advisable to keeping the dog healthy.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No, you should not feed a dog cat food, cat food is much higher in protein and calories and dog food has more fiber since dogs and cats have different diets. You can try switching the dog over, but if it doesn't work, I don't know what you mean by you can't be wasting the money. If the dog is eating it or not, you're using the same amount of dog food. If you can't afford to feed the dog everyday, you probably shouldn't have the dog. If they don't eat it right away, just put the food in the fridge and try again later.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I wouldnt feed cat food and expect the dog to get all of the nutrition it needs.

I'd look for a food with very small kibble. Maybe even puppy food to start with, which will be richer and higher in calories. To transition him from wet to dry, you could of course mix in more and more dry food with some wet until he's eating all dry food. I've also had good success pouring low sodium broth over dry food and letting it soak that up for a minute before giving it to the dog.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

On the Facebook training page that I frequent, I’ve noticed a lot of people add pumpkin to their dry food. Pumpkin is supposed to be really good for dogs and they love it. Additionally, some people add actual water to the dry food to get their dogs to eat it. I don’t know if there’s other things that dogs can eat that you can add in but it’s worth researching. As far as cat food, I wouldn’t recommend that but I admit that my puppy eats some of my cat’s food sometimes. I don’t feed it to him though.
Locked Previous topicNext topic