Potty training 19 month old WWYD

Deleted User 1039

Unread post

DS19 months keeps asking to sit on the potty. He’s been doing it for a couple of weeks at least a handful of times a day. But if you sit him in the potty he won’t pee, just immediately wants to get up and wash his hands.

He has seen DS4 go potty a lot because he is fairly recently potty trained, so I don’t know if it’s just a “i want to do what big brother does” out if he really is interested in potty training. I’ve been thinking for a while that he will probably be potty trained younger than his big brothers who were both close to 4 when they were ready. For months now he has been grabbing his diaper when he poops and sometimes going into the bathroom. Or if we tell him it’s time to change his diaper, he’ll go into the bathroom. Even though he won’t pee when you sit him in the potty, he is almost always dry when he asks.

I don’t want to ignore/discourage him if he really is interested, but I’m also very much of the school of thought that it’s best to just wait until they are ready and not hurry things along. I also am not really interested in sitting him in the toilet and then washing hands twice an hour if he just thinking it’s a fun thing to do.

So what would you do? Ignore him when he asks? Humor him every time? I’ve tried insisting he sit for longer (and running water in the sink), but he doesn’t want to sit and hasn’t ever peed. I’ve briefly considered getting him a bucket toilet so he can get on and if by himself, but I really, really don’t want one. I think they are gross and I’d rather deal with diapers.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Do exactly what he asks. It sounds like he's teaching himself. Do what he says and stay out of his way.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Let him sit on the potty and train himself. He might not be ready to actually use it yet but at least he's learning.
Have you started him in pull ups yet?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I'd leave the potty in a common, safe area so you aren't running to the bathroom 100 times a day. And explain we only wash our hands if we actually go potty, not just pretend.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:26 pm I'd leave the potty in a common, safe area so you aren't running to the bathroom 100 times a day. And explain we only wash our hands if we actually go potty, not just pretend.
I do NOT want a bucket in my living room for anyone to pee in. And the rule in our house is that if you touch a toilet, you wash your hands. It has been a point of contention with DS4 who very passionately believes that he shouldn’t have to wash his hands if he doesn’t flush the toilet. DS19mos loves to wash, though. It wouldn’t surprise me if he were sitting on the potty just so he could wash his hands, actually! Lol
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Let him sit on the potty, don't expect much though. Let him do his thing (sit without peeing and washing his hands). Don't be surprised if his enthusiasm over the potty blows over in a few weeks. He's still really young and most kids aren't ready at that age, even if they show an interest. My daughter was like that when she was 2. She even peed in the potty a few times but then it was like the newness had gone and she was totally over it. You're probably right about him just wanting to wash his hands. Toddlers are weird, man.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:24 pm Do exactly what he asks. It sounds like he's teaching himself. Do what he says and stay out of his way.
This!
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:24 pm Do exactly what he asks. It sounds like he's teaching himself. Do what he says and stay out of his way.
We’d end up on the toilet every 5-10 minutes at times, that’s my hesitation.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:44 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:26 pm I'd leave the potty in a common, safe area so you aren't running to the bathroom 100 times a day. And explain we only wash our hands if we actually go potty, not just pretend.
I do NOT want a bucket in my living room for anyone to pee in. And the rule in our house is that if you touch a toilet, you wash your hands. It has been a point of contention with DS4 who very passionately believes that he shouldn’t have to wash his hands if he doesn’t flush the toilet. DS19mos loves to wash, though. It wouldn’t surprise me if he were sitting on the potty just so he could wash his hands, actually! Lol
We had a potty chair in the living room with both girls. Both were trained in a few weeks before their 2nd birthdays.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:22 pm DS19 months keeps asking to sit on the potty. He’s been doing it for a couple of weeks at least a handful of times a day. But if you sit him in the potty he won’t pee, just immediately wants to get up and wash his hands.

He has seen DS4 go potty a lot because he is fairly recently potty trained, so I don’t know if it’s just a “i want to do what big brother does” out if he really is interested in potty training. I’ve been thinking for a while that he will probably be potty trained younger than his big brothers who were both close to 4 when they were ready. For months now he has been grabbing his diaper when he poops and sometimes going into the bathroom. Or if we tell him it’s time to change his diaper, he’ll go into the bathroom. Even though he won’t pee when you sit him in the potty, he is almost always dry when he asks.

I don’t want to ignore/discourage him if he really is interested, but I’m also very much of the school of thought that it’s best to just wait until they are ready and not hurry things along. I also am not really interested in sitting him in the toilet and then washing hands twice an hour if he just thinking it’s a fun thing to do.

So what would you do? Ignore him when he asks? Humor him every time? I’ve tried insisting he sit for longer (and running water in the sink), but he doesn’t want to sit and hasn’t ever peed. I’ve briefly considered getting him a bucket toilet so he can get on and if by himself, but I really, really don’t want one. I think they are gross and I’d rather deal with diapers.
I wouldnt push him unless you are afraid he wont be potty trained by the time he goes to school.
Im sure he isnt any less intelligent than other kids his age!
Locked Previous topicNext topic