Potty training 19 month old WWYD

Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:19 pm
SolidlyAverage wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:44 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:26 pm I'd leave the potty in a common, safe area so you aren't running to the bathroom 100 times a day. And explain we only wash our hands if we actually go potty, not just pretend.
I do NOT want a bucket in my living room for anyone to pee in. And the rule in our house is that if you touch a toilet, you wash your hands. It has been a point of contention with DS4 who very passionately believes that he shouldn’t have to wash his hands if he doesn’t flush the toilet. DS19mos loves to wash, though. It wouldn’t surprise me if he were sitting on the potty just so he could wash his hands, actually! Lol
We had a potty chair in the living room with both girls. Both were trained in a few weeks before their 2nd birthdays.
Honestly I’d rather wait until 4 than have a toilet in my living room.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:20 pm
SolidlyAverage wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:22 pm DS19 months keeps asking to sit on the potty. He’s been doing it for a couple of weeks at least a handful of times a day. But if you sit him in the potty he won’t pee, just immediately wants to get up and wash his hands.

He has seen DS4 go potty a lot because he is fairly recently potty trained, so I don’t know if it’s just a “i want to do what big brother does” out if he really is interested in potty training. I’ve been thinking for a while that he will probably be potty trained younger than his big brothers who were both close to 4 when they were ready. For months now he has been grabbing his diaper when he poops and sometimes going into the bathroom. Or if we tell him it’s time to change his diaper, he’ll go into the bathroom. Even though he won’t pee when you sit him in the potty, he is almost always dry when he asks.

I don’t want to ignore/discourage him if he really is interested, but I’m also very much of the school of thought that it’s best to just wait until they are ready and not hurry things along. I also am not really interested in sitting him in the toilet and then washing hands twice an hour if he just thinking it’s a fun thing to do.

So what would you do? Ignore him when he asks? Humor him every time? I’ve tried insisting he sit for longer (and running water in the sink), but he doesn’t want to sit and hasn’t ever peed. I’ve briefly considered getting him a bucket toilet so he can get on and if by himself, but I really, really don’t want one. I think they are gross and I’d rather deal with diapers.
I wouldnt push him unless you are afraid he wont be potty trained by the time he goes to school.
Im sure he isnt any less intelligent than other kids his age!
Aww. That would have been so much more meaningful if it made sense in the context, but good try!
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I understand your hesitation. I guess I continue to let him sit on the potty, but also encourage actual peeing. My YDS would do this, but he was older when he started it so I just took him whenever he wanted.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

He most likely is just copying what he sees others doing and doesn't associate it with actually going to the bathroom. Even if he knows what others do in the bathroom, it's unlikely that he has the bladder and bowel control to successfully potty train. I would keep letting him sit if he wants, but don't expect much for a few more moths.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Way too early. He's just mimicking his older brother, he has no control over his bladder. Just like his older brother he'll be potty trained when he's ready. Just keep potty there and let him do what he's doing. No harm.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:20 pm
SolidlyAverage wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:22 pm DS19 months keeps asking to sit on the potty. He’s been doing it for a couple of weeks at least a handful of times a day. But if you sit him in the potty he won’t pee, just immediately wants to get up and wash his hands.

He has seen DS4 go potty a lot because he is fairly recently potty trained, so I don’t know if it’s just a “i want to do what big brother does” out if he really is interested in potty training. I’ve been thinking for a while that he will probably be potty trained younger than his big brothers who were both close to 4 when they were ready. For months now he has been grabbing his diaper when he poops and sometimes going into the bathroom. Or if we tell him it’s time to change his diaper, he’ll go into the bathroom. Even though he won’t pee when you sit him in the potty, he is almost always dry when he asks.

I don’t want to ignore/discourage him if he really is interested, but I’m also very much of the school of thought that it’s best to just wait until they are ready and not hurry things along. I also am not really interested in sitting him in the toilet and then washing hands twice an hour if he just thinking it’s a fun thing to do.

So what would you do? Ignore him when he asks? Humor him every time? I’ve tried insisting he sit for longer (and running water in the sink), but he doesn’t want to sit and hasn’t ever peed. I’ve briefly considered getting him a bucket toilet so he can get on and if by himself, but I really, really don’t want one. I think they are gross and I’d rather deal with diapers.
I wouldnt push him unless you are afraid he wont be potty trained by the time he goes to school.
Im sure he isnt any less intelligent than other kids his age!
Intelligence has very little to do with potty training. Geez
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:05 pm
Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:24 pm Do exactly what he asks. It sounds like he's teaching himself. Do what he says and stay out of his way.
We’d end up on the toilet every 5-10 minutes at times, that’s my hesitation.
And you certainly don't have to entertain that. Keep the door closed so he can't go without you, and then if he is really overdoing it, tell him it's not time yet. But otherwise, I definitely wouldn't discourage him. His brain is doing good things.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I would humor him. My son is two and he sits on the toilet a few times a day. He doesn't pee either. He's an only child, so he has no clue what he is supposed to be doing. One day he will figure it out, and go in the potty. Until then I will put him on the toilet every time he acts like he wants to sit on it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic