So I signed my overweight daughter up for tumbling...

Anonymous 1

Unread post

It actually went pretty well. Idk if anyone remembers the post where I asked if it was a good idea to sign her up, but enough people thought it was that I went ahead with it. The girls were mostly a bit younger than her (she's ten) but there were a couple of girls her age as well, which was nice.

I was a bit afraid that all the other kids there would be really skinny and fit, since a couple of people did say that might be a risk, but there were a couple of quite chubby girls there as well. Dd was the heaviest, but she wasn't the only girl there carrying a few extra pounds so that was nice. She seemed to enjoy herself!

I've also had her walking to school, which she's been complaining about a lot, but we're going to stick with it for now. Hopefully she'll just get used to it eventually!
Thanks to everyone who said it was a good idea on my last post! Really hoping that this will make the difference in helping her slim down and get healthier. It's not as difficult to make these changes as it seems!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

We've had a few chubsters in our family, thankfully they slimmed down by the time they were in high school. How boring would life be if we all looked exactly alike, slim trim and fit?
I had a few that were teased in school but I always told them, you can always lose weight...they will always be ugly inside and out for their entire lives. I also used to tell them, being chubby is okay...there's just more of you to love.
Just watch what she eats and keep her active, whether is walking, tumbling, dance, martial arts or sports. Cut out all sugar drinks and stick to water. Stick with fresh fruit and veggies, lean meat and LESS processed food and fast food when possible. Do this gradually and involve the entire family, cutting out sugar real fast will make them want it more. 3 meals a day and one to two snacks is more than sufficient for anyone and drink lots of water.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:36 am We've had a few chubsters in our family, thankfully they slimmed down by the time they were in high school. How boring would life be if we all looked exactly alike, slim trim and fit?
I had a few that were teased in school but I always told them, you can always lose weight...they will always be ugly inside and out for their entire lives. I also used to tell them, being chubby is okay...there's just more of you to love.
Just watch what she eats and keep her active, whether is walking, tumbling, dance, martial arts or sports. Cut out all sugar drinks and stick to water. Stick with fresh fruit and veggies, lean meat and LESS processed food and fast food when possible. Do this gradually and involve the entire family, cutting out sugar real fast will make them want it more. 3 meals a day and one to two snacks is more than sufficient for anyone and drink lots of water.
In the past I've always stuck to the idea that being chubby is okay, but that sort of thinking is really what's gotten me - and my dd - where we are now. If I'd addressed it a long time ago instead of just letting it slide it would have been a lot easier!
I'm trying to address the diet, but that's a lot more difficult than getting her more exercise so I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to do. Dh is against me on that front as well as dd, and I've got a sweet tooth a mile wide myself, so it's difficult. Looking at at least cutting down the amount of soda she drinks though. She probably drinks more soda than water right now!
KaiandKadensMama
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I signed my 9 year old up for an American Ninja Warriors class. He loves it. He’s not chunky, but the genes are there. My nephew gained a lot of weight from middle school to high school. I want my son to stay active.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

KaiandKadensMama wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:12 am I signed my 9 year old up for an American Ninja Warriors class. He loves it. He’s not chunky, but the genes are there. My nephew gained a lot of weight from middle school to high school. I want my son to stay active.
Prevention is definitely better than cure, especially with exercise. It's so much more difficult getting into being active if you're already very heavy! Even just the walk to school tires my dd out quite a bit, which makes her grumpy and not want to do it. It's a difficult situation.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Hope you both get your desired results.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:43 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:36 am We've had a few chubsters in our family, thankfully they slimmed down by the time they were in high school. How boring would life be if we all looked exactly alike, slim trim and fit?
In the past I've always stuck to the idea that being chubby is okay, but that sort of thinking is really what's gotten me - and my dd - where we are now. If I'd addressed it a long time ago instead of just letting it slide it would have been a lot easier!
I'm trying to address the diet, but that's a lot more difficult than getting her more exercise so I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to do. Dh is against me on that front as well as dd, and I've got a sweet tooth a mile wide myself, so it's difficult. Looking at at least cutting down the amount of soda she drinks though. She probably drinks more soda than water right now!
If you don't buy soda, she can't drink it unless she has money to buy it outside of the house. Dh would be sleeping on the couch until he is on board with the family as a whole eating and drinking healthier foods. I don''t put my foot down or issue ultimatums very often but when I do, he knows to get in line or sleep on the couch, hahaha
Anonymous 1

Unread post

iamanon wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 am Hope you both get your desired results.
Thanks! I hope it works out :)
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:43 am
Being chubby is okay. Having unhealthy eating and exercise habits is just that, unhealthy. It's not about how she looks, it's about being healthy and breaking habits that can cause serious health issues. Obesity is a major contributor to the top preventable causes of death in this country. The way I see it is I would never give my child a cigarette because I know it's a dangerous habit, so why would I allow and provide for equally dangerous habits.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That's great! I'm glad it seems to be going well. I'm sure she'll get used to walking to school even though she's grumbly now. Good luck to both of you on this journey! :)
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic