Unpaid lunch bill = No school events for you!

Anonymous 12

Unread post

Let's see how many people from this very post send checks to these schools with such terrible policies.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:51 pm I love this, too!

You might be on to something! Maybe the schools could start an fundraiser account/GoFundMe so that anyone who wishes to help settle that large LUNCH DEBT could donate to the cause!

It would be interesting to me to see how many people would donate.

Anonymous 12 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:33 am If the parents either can't or won't pay for food for their children, which is an actual necessity, why would it go unnoticed that they can turn around and make sure they can pay for the fun stuff?

Secondly, schools are supposed to educate children, not be a resource for food. Especially when the family doesn't even qualify for free lunch in the first place.

People, if you think this is all so unfair, pull out your own checkbook and pay these lunch tabs for the students who have balances. Post the links for the charities you've created. Be a solution to the issue you think it's so unfair.
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 12 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:20 pm Let's see how many people from this very post send checks to these schools with such terrible policies.

You might be on to something! Maybe the schools could start an fundraiser account/GoFundMe so that anyone who wishes to help settle that large LUNCH DEBT could donate to the cause!

Anonymous 12 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:33 am If the parents either can't or won't pay for food for their children, which is an actual necessity, why would it go unnoticed that they can turn around and make sure they can pay for the fun stuff?

Secondly, schools are supposed to educate children, not be a resource for food. Especially when the family doesn't even qualify for free lunch in the first place.

People, if you think this is all so unfair, pull out your own checkbook and pay these lunch tabs for the students who have balances. Post the links for the charities you've created. Be a solution to the issue you think it's so unfair.
I have gone to school board meetings every month for the last two years trying to get free breakfast and lunch for all.
I even figured out how much it would cost each constituent.
.60 every month more per year in taxes to cover this.
Our school just forked out $20,000 to host a speaker from columbine.
I think they can afford this.
i want candy!
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:57 pm I just read a news article about a school district whose unpaid lunch bill debt has gotten so out of control that they are considering instituting a new policy.

NOTE: The policy would not apply to students on the FREE LUNCH PROGRAM. It would only apply to students who have not demonstrated a financial need.

The policy being considered would state: Students with an outstanding lunch debt will be forbidden to attend class trips, school dances, school events, or other extra curricular activities.

What are your thoughts about this?
Good. People who won't pay when they should, should face some kind of consequence.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 12 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:20 pm Let's see how many people from this very post send checks to these schools with such terrible policies.

That makes no sense at all. Why would we pay a bill that our kids didn't create?
I make sure my kids have at least 100 on each of their accounts on the first of each month but we also pay all of our bills.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Diamepphyre wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:31 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:57 pm I just read a news article about a school district whose unpaid lunch bill debt has gotten so out of control that they are considering instituting a new policy.

NOTE: The policy would not apply to students on the FREE LUNCH PROGRAM. It would only apply to students who have not demonstrated a financial need.

The policy being considered would state: Students with an outstanding lunch debt will be forbidden to attend class trips, school dances, school events, or other extra curricular activities.

Good. People who won't pay when they should, should face some kind of consequence.
I don’t know about you, but I never had to earn the money and pay for my school lunch when I was a kid.

How is this a consequence for the parent? The child still goes to school, they just can’t go do the fun/enriching things. And they probably get teased by other kids for it as well, unless school has changed dramatically from when I was there. Sounds like a punishment to the child and nothing at all to the parent.

I don’t disagree that there should be some consequence, but this doesn’t seem appropriate as it is a consequence only for the child.

These aren’t kids whose parents can’t pay, these are kids whose parents choose to spend money on things other than their child nutrition. Do you really think that kind of parent gives a shit if their child goes to a school dance or field trip? Maybe a few kids just had parents who forgot, who would feel guilty and responsibility if their child got left out, but I doubt that’s most of them.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I think the kind of parent who has the means to pay but would let their lunch bill go to collections is the very kind of parent that would be the first to complain if their kid was told she couldn't go to the prom because of it.

SolidlyAverage wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:37 pm
Diamepphyre wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:31 pm

I don’t know about you, but I never had to earn the money and pay for my school lunch when I was a kid.

How is this a consequence for the parent? The child still goes to school, they just can’t go do the fun/enriching things. And they probably get teased by other kids for it as well, unless school has changed dramatically from when I was there. Sounds like a punishment to the child and nothing at all to the parent.

I don’t disagree that there should be some consequence, but this doesn’t seem appropriate as it is a consequence only for the child.

These aren’t kids whose parents can’t pay, these are kids whose parents choose to spend money on things other than their child nutrition. Do you really think that kind of parent gives a shit if their child goes to a school dance or field trip? Maybe a few kids just had parents who forgot, who would feel guilty and responsibility if their child got left out, but I doubt that’s most of them.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I think it's mean. It's not the child's fault that the parents don't pay the bill. Why not send something home to the parents in case they aren't aware of the bill?

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:36 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 pm I think it is mean.

I suppose it might be reasonable for high school kids, running up crazy tabs on extravagant take out or something, but some poor elementary kid, missing a field trip, come on! That’s awful.
It is mean. I can't agree with you more. There is so much wrong with that school's decision.
Except it's not the school being mean to the children. It's their own parents being mean to them. Because if the parents would PAY THEIR F***ing BILL then there would be no issue with the kids participating. But since the parents can't be bothered to fork over a lousy $3 a day, then let the kids hate their own parents forever for screwing up their childhood. This is all 100% on the parents. Don't put blame on the school.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:54 am I think it's mean. It's not the child's fault that the parents don't pay the bill. Why not send something home to the parents in case they aren't aware of the bill?
I'm sure the school has sent notices of the delinquent account. That's always the first defense that schools have. But parents ignore those notices or somehow don't get them.
But that's not an excuse. How do you go months and months and months without putting money towards your child's lunch and not think that you have a delinquent account? One time I hadn't sent any money or received any notices so I went to the school and asked about it. Turns out there was a little issue where I wasn't getting the email notices. I had racked up a debt of $20 and promptly wrote them a check for it. $20. What I want to know is how do parents rack up hundreds upon hundreds of dollars of lunch debt and not know that they haven't paid in a long time??? I mean, how many months is that???

Claiming "I didn't know" doesn't work IMO. Parents have zero excuse for not knowing that they haven't paid money in some time.

As for "not the child's fault", perhaps, but children pay for their own parents' transgressions all. the. time. It's the definition of life. Our own decisions directly affecting our kids is what motivates us parents to make good, responsible decisions. If we take away that consequence to the kids then we've taken away the motivation for parents to do anything good for their kids. It may be unfair, but kids need to suffer the consequences otherwise we have what we have now which is a whole group of parents who don't give a crap because someone else will make sure their kids don't suffer.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Well they have to do something. It’s better then denying the kids food. It’s expensive to feed that many kids. I don’t think the people screaming for free lunch for all understand how much it actually costs.
Locked Previous topicNext topic