How is the jungle book racist?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I watched that movie on repeat as child and to me it was just a cartoon about a boy and jungle animals. I never thought any deeper into than that.

Now there’s a warning at the beginning of it about King Louie?

I never once saw king Louie and thought black people. I just saw a monkey.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:12 am I watched that movie on repeat as child and to me it was just a cartoon about a boy and jungle animals. I never thought any deeper into than that.

Now there’s a warning at the beginning of it about King Louie?

I never once saw king Louie and thought black people. I just saw a monkey.
If you look hard enough you can and will find racism in everything, some people go out of their way to find it. I have mixed kids and we dont look for it, the only time we notice it is if someone slaps us in the face with it. We deal with it then and there but dont go make a post about it expressing our outrage to the world.
Attachments
tenor (2).gif
tenor (2).gif (170.44 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Who's saying that it's racist? I never thought of it as racist.
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Everything now insults somebody.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:25 am Who's saying that it's racist? I never thought of it as racist.
Apparently there is now a warning label on Disney plus before the jungle book is shown.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

I just watched it with DS4 for the first time in years. As a child I didn't really pick up on it, but I also grew up on Speedy Gonzalez, the Siamese cats in Lady & the Tramp, and the original lyrics to songs in Aladdin and never thought anything of those, either. Just because kids don't get it doesn't mean it's not there.

But yeah, watching King Louie made me a bit uncomfortable. The apes were clearly intended to represent black people. Associating black people with apes was common slur in the 60s (still is). They are physically described in the same way blacks were, they were voiced to sound like black characters, their song is very clearly intended to depict black music, etc. It's not subtle.

The whole movie is a message about staying with your own kind. Also not subtle.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:25 am Who's saying that it's racist? I never thought of it as racist.
Apparently there is now a warning label on Disney plus before the jungle book is shown.
There has been on Looney Tunes for a while now. I bought the DVDs at least a decade ago and any discs with episodes of Speedy Gonzalez have a similar disclaimer.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 am I just watched it with DS4 for the first time in years. As a child I didn't really pick up on it, but I also grew up on Speedy Gonzalez, the Siamese cats in Lady & the Tramp, and the original lyrics to songs in Aladdin and never thought anything of those, either. Just because kids don't get it doesn't mean it's not there.

But yeah, watching King Louie made me a bit uncomfortable. The apes were clearly intended to represent black people. Associating black people with apes was common slur in the 60s (still is). They are physically described in the same way blacks were, they were voiced to sound like black characters, their song is very clearly intended to depict black music, etc. It's not subtle.

Admittedly I haven’t seen it in a good 20 years. I need to rewatch it.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Welcome to the era of the perpetually offended. It's in schools too. One of DS's teachers called him a racist over him referencing his own race when talking to a friend. To be clear this was the latest of a lot of straws with her so I messaged her about it all including that and said that we don't teach our kids that everything is racist unlike the PC crowd that is trying to bend everyone to their will. She got so upset she went to administration about it. When I told them what was actually said, they dropped it quickly. I'm all done with this new 'let's all be woke, everything is racist and offensive' crap.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Did we watch the same movie? Lol.

Mowgli is taken in by wolves (not his kind), a bear (not his kind), and a black panther (also not his kind).
SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 am I just watched it with DS4 for the first time in years. As a child I didn't really pick up on it, but I also grew up on Speedy Gonzalez, the Siamese cats in Lady & the Tramp, and the original lyrics to songs in Aladdin and never thought anything of those, either. Just because kids don't get it doesn't mean it's not there.

Locked Previous topicNext topic