How is the jungle book racist?

Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 12 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:12 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:35 pm King Louie sings jazz and scats. Definitely patterned after and imitates blacks. King Louie sounds like it could be Louis Armstrong or another black jazz musician. But the voice was done by white Italian jazz musician Louis Prima. And the rest of the characters are caricatures of blacks.

Anyone who is bothered by that is completely stupid.
Your white privilege is showing
Anonymous 12

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:23 pm
Anonymous 12 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:12 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:35 pm King Louie sings jazz and scats. Definitely patterned after and imitates blacks. King Louie sounds like it could be Louis Armstrong or another black jazz musician. But the voice was done by white Italian jazz musician Louis Prima. And the rest of the characters are caricatures of blacks.

Anyone who is bothered by that is completely stupid.
Your white privilege is showing
I'm not white.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Everything and everyone is racist if they breathe, according the courts of public opinions.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:17 pm
Pjmm wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:06 am
agander2017 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:41 am In today's world, everyone is offended by something. So they have to put warnings on everything to prevent a lawsuit from someone claiming they were offended, and want money for it. There were always warnings, they were just more subtle. For example "These characters are fictional. Any resemblance to a real person is coincidental". The problem with that one, is that nobody reads the small print for movies, or shows. Therefore they can claim they didn't see it, and their feelings were hurt by what they saw.

It makes me sick that a movie can't just be a movie. I'm part Mexican, and Speedy Gonzales never offended me.
Don't start or Warner brothers will get warning labels. Elmer Fudd has a speech impediment. Marvin the Martin is black. Then there's the harassment of Pepe La Pew with the cats...I mean someone complained about Spongebob holding Patrick's hand. Umm these aren't human characters for the most part. It can be argued that in stories and even cartoons, characters are, gasp, FLAWED. That's what makes them interesting. Have a discussion or use the off switch. It's still there.
Oh ya, Pepe Le Pew. I'm surprised no one has yelled "Rape Culture!" about that cartoon. It's ridiculous what people will see and complain about in a simple cartoon. I mean, we all grew up on these cartoons and we aren't all screwed up in the head, right? Oh wait, maybe don't answer that. LOL
I'm sure the bitching about "Baby it's cold outside " will be starting soon.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:46 am Did we watch the same movie? Lol.

Mowgli is taken in by wolves (not his kind), a bear (not his kind), and a black panther (also not his kind).
SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 am I just watched it with DS4 for the first time in years. As a child I didn't really pick up on it, but I also grew up on Speedy Gonzalez, the Siamese cats in Lady & the Tramp, and the original lyrics to songs in Aladdin and never thought anything of those, either. Just because kids don't get it doesn't mean it's not there.

But yeah, watching King Louie made me a bit uncomfortable. The apes were clearly intended to represent black people. Associating black people with apes was common slur in the 60s (still is). They are physically described in the same way blacks were, they were voiced to sound like black characters, their song is very clearly intended to depict black music, etc. It's not subtle.

The whole movie is a message about staying with your own kind. Also not subtle.
And? All that proves is that beings of different backgrounds and origins are perfectly capable of coming together to help one another. It is racist to suggest that only someone "of his kind" was capable of providing what Mowgli needed. Good grief.
Anonymous 11

Unread post

But in the movie, when they refer to Mowgli's "kind," I think they were referring to the "human" kind (versus the "animal" kind). I think the reference in the movie was human versus animal. Not white versus black.

Diamepphyre wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:46 am Did we watch the same movie? Lol.

Mowgli is taken in by wolves (not his kind), a bear (not his kind), and a black panther (also not his kind).
SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 am I just watched it with DS4 for the first time in years. As a child I didn't really pick up on it, but I also grew up on Speedy Gonzalez, the Siamese cats in Lady & the Tramp, and the original lyrics to songs in Aladdin and never thought anything of those, either. Just because kids don't get it doesn't mean it's not there.

But yeah, watching King Louie made me a bit uncomfortable. The apes were clearly intended to represent black people. Associating black people with apes was common slur in the 60s (still is). They are physically described in the same way blacks were, they were voiced to sound like black characters, their song is very clearly intended to depict black music, etc. It's not subtle.

The whole movie is a message about staying with your own kind. Also not subtle.
And? All that proves is that beings of different backgrounds and origins are perfectly capable of coming together to help one another. It is racist to suggest that only someone "of his kind" was capable of providing what Mowgli needed. Good grief.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That'swhatshesaid wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Don't start or Warner brothers will get warning labels. Elmer Fudd has a speech impediment. Marvin the Martin is black. Then there's the harassment of Pepe La Pew with the cats...I mean someone complained about Spongebob holding Patrick's hand. Umm these aren't human characters for the most part. It can be argued that in stories and even cartoons, characters are, gasp, FLAWED. That's what makes them interesting. Have a discussion or use the off switch. It's still there.
Oh ya, Pepe Le Pew. I'm surprised no one has yelled "Rape Culture!" about that cartoon. It's ridiculous what people will see and complain about in a simple cartoon. I mean, we all grew up on these cartoons and we aren't all screwed up in the head, right? Oh wait, maybe don't answer that. LOL

This is the new version by John Legend and Kelly Clarkson. I hate it! They've changed the lyrics.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

]

It already has. John Legend and some female have changed the words once again.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

]

It already has. John Legend and some female have changed the words once again.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:32 pm

This is the new version by John Legend and Kelly Clarkson. I hate it! They've changed the lyrics.
I think it's a stupid song in the first place .
Locked Previous topicNext topic