How is the jungle book racist?

agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

In today's world, everyone is offended by something. So they have to put warnings on everything to prevent a lawsuit from someone claiming they were offended, and want money for it. There were always warnings, they were just more subtle. For example "These characters are fictional. Any resemblance to a real person is coincidental". The problem with that one, is that nobody reads the small print for movies, or shows. Therefore they can claim they didn't see it, and their feelings were hurt by what they saw.

It makes me sick that a movie can't just be a movie. I'm part Mexican, and Speedy Gonzales never offended me.

Anonymous 9

Unread post

I think African Americans are always looking to be offended .
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:41 am In today's world, everyone is offended by something. So they have to put warnings on everything to prevent a lawsuit from someone claiming they were offended, and want money for it. There were always warnings, they were just more subtle. For example "These characters are fictional. Any resemblance to a real person is coincidental". The problem with that one, is that nobody reads the small print for movies, or shows. Therefore they can claim they didn't see it, and their feelings were hurt by what they saw.

It makes me sick that a movie can't just be a movie. I'm part Mexican, and Speedy Gonzales never offended me.
Don't start or Warner brothers will get warning labels. Elmer Fudd has a speech impediment. Marvin the Martin is black. Then there's the harassment of Pepe La Pew with the cats...I mean someone complained about Spongebob holding Patrick's hand. Umm these aren't human characters for the most part. It can be argued that in stories and even cartoons, characters are, gasp, FLAWED. That's what makes them interesting. Have a discussion or use the off switch. It's still there.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

White Italian= racist
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:06 am
agander2017 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:41 am In today's world, everyone is offended by something. So they have to put warnings on everything to prevent a lawsuit from someone claiming they were offended, and want money for it. There were always warnings, they were just more subtle. For example "These characters are fictional. Any resemblance to a real person is coincidental". The problem with that one, is that nobody reads the small print for movies, or shows. Therefore they can claim they didn't see it, and their feelings were hurt by what they saw.

Don't start or Warner brothers will get warning labels. Elmer Fudd has a speech impediment. Marvin the Martin is black. Then there's the harassment of Pepe La Pew with the cats...I mean someone complained about Spongebob holding Patrick's hand. Umm these aren't human characters for the most part. It can be argued that in stories and even cartoons, characters are, gasp, FLAWED. That's what makes them interesting. Have a discussion or use the off switch. It's still there.
Oh ya, Pepe Le Pew. I'm surprised no one has yelled "Rape Culture!" about that cartoon. It's ridiculous what people will see and complain about in a simple cartoon. I mean, we all grew up on these cartoons and we aren't all screwed up in the head, right? Oh wait, maybe don't answer that. LOL
sheramom4
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

In a Facebook group I am in there have been several comments about the upcoming PIXAR movie "Soul" being racist because the lead character (a black man) becomes a soul and isn't depicted as himself the entire film (I think that is how I understand it?) AND the man who played Prince Eric in The Little Mermaid Live for ABC is throwing a fit that a white British actor was chosen to play Prince Eric in the new live adaptation for Disney. His reasoning is that so many actors of color auditioned and they should have chosen a POC even if the man they chose is the best choice.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:35 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:25 am Who's saying that it's racist? I never thought of it as racist.
Apparently there is now a warning label on Disney plus before the jungle book is shown.
There has been on Looney Tunes for a while now. I bought the DVDs at least a decade ago and any discs with episodes of Speedy Gonzalez have a similar disclaimer.
all of the apes are voiced by white actors and all of them have beatles' style caucasian looking hair. King Louis is named after Louis Prima a white ( italian ) jazz performer from New Orleans who voiced him/sang his songs in the movie.
Anonymous 11

Unread post

Thanks for posting the clip. That's some great foot tapping music!
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:35 pm King Louie sings jazz and scats. Definitely patterned after and imitates blacks. King Louie sounds like it could be Louis Armstrong or another black jazz musician. But the voice was done by white Italian jazz musician Louis Prima. And the rest of the characters are caricatures of blacks.

Anonymous 12

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:35 pm King Louie sings jazz and scats. Definitely patterned after and imitates blacks. King Louie sounds like it could be Louis Armstrong or another black jazz musician. But the voice was done by white Italian jazz musician Louis Prima. And the rest of the characters are caricatures of blacks.

Anyone who is bothered by that is completely stupid.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

:lol: :lol:
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:17 pm
Pjmm wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:06 am

Oh ya, Pepe Le Pew. I'm surprised no one has yelled "Rape Culture!" about that cartoon. It's ridiculous what people will see and complain about in a simple cartoon. I mean, we all grew up on these cartoons and we aren't all screwed up in the head, right? Oh wait, maybe don't answer that. LOL
Locked Previous topicNext topic