How is the jungle book racist?

Deleted User 1393

Unread post

In this day and age every effn thing is racist. EVERY THING.

We cannot erase our past. We cannot judge things of years ago by today's standards. If we did everyone would be guilty of many things because oh my god NONE OF US WERE OR ARE PERFECT.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’m black and I don’t see it. I’m also not overthinking everything and looking for a reason to be offended.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:22 pm
Pjmm wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:20 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:57 pm
None of that makes one lick of sense. I can buy that Kipling was very much into imperialism which wasn't good for India and might have felt Britons were superior to the Indians. So all this might be implied with how he treated the monkeys (who had no leader or order unlike the British government). But Disney implying the bananas were drugs? Give it a F***ing rest. I suppose next we will hear War of Warcraft is racist with their treatment of modeling their various characters after various ethnic groups. (Taurens are like native Americans, the Pandarians are rather Asian) And all of them fight the alliance mostly made up of white humans and dwarfs. This is all stupid.
None of Kipling's characterizations of the monkeys suggest they represent any ethnic group.
The banana is a little far-fetched I admit. I'm just posting this link -- and the url so you can read the whole article. There's no denying the racist undertones of Disney films.
I'm not denying it. I'm saying this guy is being a bit dramatic. I certainly don't think of black people when I see the crows in Dumbo. I assumed the damn monkey in The Jungle book just wanted to be human and never saw it as a statement of anything other. Maybe I'm naive but it's the God's honest truth. I had bigger racial problems with my black friends back in the 70s than a Disney film that's all I'm saying.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

2019 is the year where everything under the sun, the moon, and the stars is racist. The forecast for 2020, seems to be the same, unless people finally come to their senses.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The phone book could be racist with the right twist.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

I just clicked on that movie in Disney plus and only the movie played. Not warning or
Anonymous 8

Unread post

I was going to say I thought the racist part in the movie had to do with the crows. It was a play on the "Jim Crow" laws or something like that. But I guess that was Dumbo, not The Jungle Book. I guess I'm stupid. I never saw the monkey scene as "black people". It was just monkeys to me. Clueless Whitey here, I guess.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

LuckyEightWow wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:25 pm The phone book could be racist with the right twist.
Yeah, all those WHITE pages. Not a black page at all. Damn them!!
Deleted User 203

Unread post

I don't believe it was intentionally meant to be racist yet going back to that movie, I can see the points now.

The way I see it is there needs to be more of a respect of thinking back 'then' as compared to today in that restrictions weren't in place as they are today, or at least a different perspective of attempting to be more socially aware and respectful today than decades ago when movies like this were made.

If a parent doesn't wish for their child to see this movie, don't show them the movie.

Voila!
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

DD used to LOVE that movie when she was little. She used to pretend to be "mowgli" and would recite the script right along with him. We watched it over and over again.

DH and I never picked up on any racism.

I guess if you looked hard enough, you can find something to offend in everything.
Locked Previous topicNext topic