How is the jungle book racist?

nmkj
Countess
Countess

Unread post

It's not.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:05 am I was going to say I thought the racist part in the movie had to do with the crows. It was a play on the "Jim Crow" laws or something like that. But I guess that was Dumbo, not The Jungle Book. I guess I'm stupid. I never saw the monkey scene as "black people". It was just monkeys to me. Clueless Whitey here, I guess.
The crows? Its been a long time since I've seen the movie, but I don't remember any crows. Are you talking about the vultures with british accents that sound like the Beatles?
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’ve never seen it. Everything is racist these days.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:11 am
Anonymous 8 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:05 am I was going to say I thought the racist part in the movie had to do with the crows. It was a play on the "Jim Crow" laws or something like that. But I guess that was Dumbo, not The Jungle Book. I guess I'm stupid. I never saw the monkey scene as "black people". It was just monkeys to me. Clueless Whitey here, I guess.
The crows? Its been a long time since I've seen the movie, but I don't remember any crows. Are you talking about the vultures with british accents that sound like the Beatles?
They were crows and they're the ones that gave Dumbo the feather so he believed he could fly.
Anonymous 13

Unread post

Anonymous 12 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:12 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:35 pm King Louie sings jazz and scats. Definitely patterned after and imitates blacks. King Louie sounds like it could be Louis Armstrong or another black jazz musician. But the voice was done by white Italian jazz musician Louis Prima. And the rest of the characters are caricatures of blacks.

Anyone who is bothered by that is completely stupid.
Agreed
Anonymous 14

Unread post

The Jungle Book is considered racist because it was written by a racist and many English believe him to be their biggest embarrassment. You read his poem The White man's burden
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:05 am
They were crows and they're the ones that gave Dumbo the feather so he believed he could fly.
🤣 They were vultures. The crow in dumbo looks nothing like the vultures in the jungle book.
They are credited in the movie as vultures.
Attachments
20191117_174759.jpg
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

In the context of the movie I think it’s very true that Mowgli would be better off with his own kind. And yes, there were needs that could only be fulfilled by other humans.
In the real life context, it’s also true that although people from different backgrounds can come together and help each other, there may be certain needs that can only be fulfilled by the people you share a common background and culture. It doesn’t make anyone racist to realize that.
Diamepphyre wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:46 am Did we watch the same movie? Lol.

Mowgli is taken in by wolves (not his kind), a bear (not his kind), and a black panther (also not his kind).
SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 am I just watched it with DS4 for the first time in years. As a child I didn't really pick up on it, but I also grew up on Speedy Gonzalez, the Siamese cats in Lady & the Tramp, and the original lyrics to songs in Aladdin and never thought anything of those, either. Just because kids don't get it doesn't mean it's not there.

But yeah, watching King Louie made me a bit uncomfortable. The apes were clearly intended to represent black people. Associating black people with apes was common slur in the 60s (still is). They are physically described in the same way blacks were, they were voiced to sound like black characters, their song is very clearly intended to depict black music, etc. It's not subtle.

The whole movie is a message about staying with your own kind. Also not subtle.
And? All that proves is that beings of different backgrounds and origins are perfectly capable of coming together to help one another. It is racist to suggest that only someone "of his kind" was capable of providing what Mowgli needed. Good grief.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 4

Unread post

The crows were in Dumbo, as has been said twice in your quote tree now. 🙄
Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:50 pm

🤣 They were vultures. The crow in dumbo looks nothing like the vultures in the jungle book.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:50 pm

I don't remember the Jungle movie. I just know the book. I thought we were talking about Dumbo.
Locked Previous topicNext topic