Have you ever stopped your child from turning in homework or assignments?

Anonymous 4

Unread post

Lustywench wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:54 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:28 pm
Lustywench wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Wrong again, Im not a troll just because Im calling you out on the judgemental member and child bashing.
That's the normal deflection tactic that anons use when being verbally spanked for being a chest beating keyboard warrior.
One would say, that you're trying to be the chest beating keyboard warrior, who's opinion means nothing to me.
Except Im not, you are. My words and opinions obviously bother you because you are compelled to reply and defend yourself everytime I quote you.
I command you to reply, grovel and beg Linda for forgiveness
So you have stooped to the" I'm not but you are", you do understand how childish that sound, right?

You think my replies are defending myself? LMAO.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:27 am
mcginnisc wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:18 am I will preface this with the fact that I homeschool..
I do NOT police their work like that. My oldest does all of her tests online so I grade very little of her things...her papers and projects are handed in to me and I grade those...everyday work I don't touch. My youngest on the other hand still does all of her work by hand. She still has cursive tests and things like that. If it is sloppy, oh well..I will grade it as it is and if you fail it, that is on you kiddo. I feel like she needs natural consequences and that means if the work is substandard, she fails it. It will do my child no favors at all if I helicopter over her work as she will think she gets a million chances to make it right- you don't get that in the real world so you deal with whatever consequences come with the substandard work...if that means you get fired from work, I guess you learn a lesson.
I think ripping up her work was horrible parenting personally and well, while I do not condone her calling you names, I can understand "heat of the moment" since you were a jerk first. It does not matter that she has asperbergers IMO. You ripped up her work. You should have let her turn it in and face the consequences at school.
There ARE no consequences though - the teacher would accept it and not mark it down even with how much lack of effort she put in because "poor (dd's name) has disabilities, she can't get it" and just give her a B. Whereas I know DD does know her shit - when she tries. She's unfortunately very manipulative and can convince people she is "helpless" and "can't do 'it'" whatever 'it' is.
I told myself, I would stop replying to these things, but I cannot stop...

Advocate for your DD with the school! Why would a teacher dare think or say that? That is not acceptable. Does the teacher need more education about your child’s learning differences? My child with severe dyslexia, was making an A in spelling and I mumbled, “oh hell no” when I saw the report card and called an impromptu phone meeting, full of laughs, but I kindly told his teacher and SPED teacher, I don’t care if he gets an F in spelling, but please do not lie to him and act like that he is spelling like a normal child, he does not even practice at home, come on...and you know what- they got it, he makes B’s to D’s now. IEPs are to help your child. If it is not meeting the child’s needs, be the squeaky wheel, until it does. What about all the work you never see they do at school? You want them to not grade it? That is not right.

Why are you battling with your DD, when the school can help with this responsibility? They likely may not know, as many parents are the opposite and want their children to make A’s and B’s but that is why we have the “I” in the IEP for individualized.

To stay with your analogy, you are not going to go with her to her place of employment and tell her to re-do something, yet here you are, doing exactly what you are doing for the school. You are giving the consequence they should be giving.

I have 3 children, all with IEPs, it takes an immense amount of work and effort to fight for them, but I strongly recommend fighting for the resources that your child deserves.

I hope this does not come across as criticism, it’s not. I think you are a great mom who obviously cares very much. But your child deserves more from a teacher.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

No, because my kid is a bit of perfectionist. I've helped her with her assignments though. She has anxiety and an executive processing disorder. And they both reared their ugly heads to slap her in her face in 7th grade. She's very, very smart and was able to compensate prior to middle school for her processing disorder. Then she had to take notes and study. Something she'd never done before. We started helping her study for tests because a couple of b's and a c in 7th grade made it clear she needed help. It was grueling at first. She insisted in reviewing the textbook, notes, and all quizzes every night up to the night of the test. She knew the stuff but she was afraid she'd forget.

I'd also help her with research papers by helping her find sources and reading them with her and talking out a plan for her paper. I'd help her come up with outlines and she'd hammer out the rough drafts and her dad and I would review them for her.

It slowly got less gruesome as her confidence in the process and herself grew. Some people would probably say I did too much for her. But she did the work, I just helped her study and gather info and cheered her on. I never wrote or did her assignments for her and I never made her 'do them over' because they weren't up to snuff. She always produced great stuff and often picked subjects or topics that made her ask herself what she got herself into. She ended up getting As and all the teachers loved her stuff. Like for Biology in high school, for instance. She was studying digestion and her teacher wanted the class to create a pamphlet on digestion so she imagined a chocolate cookie taking you on a tour through the Digestion Amusement Park. She probably spent twice as much time on her project than anyone else did. But it turned out to be clever and a hit with the teacher. The teacher kept it to show future students.
Anonymous 13

Unread post

You were wrong to tear up her homework.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:29 pm
Anonymous 8 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:00 am

That is because of the attitude of mothers like Lindaruns. They treat their preteens & teens like babies instead of young men & women.

It amazes me how a 14 -16 year old can not handle homework without mommy but by 16-17 yrs old they can drive automobiles & have jobs..lol.
It’s actually the students with involved parents who succeed. Those with parents who have no involvement in their child’s academics have the kids who do not care, and are at risk of failing. I love my parents who are involved, as their children are more motivated within the classroom.
What if I told you there was a way to be involved in your kids lives and still not have to be up their ass once they are teenagers and should be getting ready for the adult world?
What if I told you that giving a shit about your child’s homework, and checking in once in a while, doesn’t equate to being up one’s ass? Are you intelligent enough to understand that?
Anonymous 14

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:55 am

Teach in a middle school. You’ll find that to be VERY untrue.
That is because of the attitude of mothers like Lindaruns. They treat their preteens & teens like babies instead of young men & women.

It amazes me how a 14 -16 year old can not handle homework without mommy but by 16-17 yrs old they can drive automobiles & have jobs..lol.
It’s actually the students with involved parents who succeed. Those with parents who have no involvement in their child’s academics have the kids who do not care, and are at risk of failing. I love my parents who are involved, as their children are more motivated within the classroom.
No one is saying they are uninvolved. I just leave up to my kid to ale care of what he needs to. He knows he can come to me for help at anytime . He goes to a very good private school where parents are discouraged from doing that kind of “helping” after kindergarten because it doesn’t actually help the child in the long run.
I know exactly what he is doing in class and what the assignments are but they are not mine they are his and the earlier kids learn to take responsibility for themselves. The better.
Anonymous 11

Unread post

Anonymous 14 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:40 pm

No one is saying they are uninvolved. I just leave up to my kid to ale care of what he needs to. He knows he can come to me for help at anytime . He goes to a very good private school where parents are discouraged from doing that kind of “helping” after kindergarten because it doesn’t actually help the child in the long run.
I know exactly what he is doing in class and what the assignments are but they are not mine they are his and the earlier kids learn to take responsibility for themselves. The better.

That philosophy has worked very well in our home.
Locked Previous topicNext topic