The Worst Parenting Practices From The Past

Turkle
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I found this article recently and thought that it was interesting, and I hope that you do as well.

http://www.itsrosy.com/The+Worst+Vintag ... IgD0JNwlbM
"Prison inmates are treated to cable TV, hot meals and a college education, while on the outside some people can only afford these things through a life of crime."
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Maybe its bad but some of those things seem okay to me.
Deleted User 1461

Unread post

Oh my goodness!
My parents were not like that- I was raised in the 1940’s-50’s.
They didn’t spank , didn’t name -call, didn’t want us to be “seen and not heard”
( I was naturally a quiet kid though, not because they told me to be quiet)
I raised my kids almost the same as I was raised.
I quit smoking while pregnant. I occasionally had a beer while pregnant, especially when we were based in Germany. My pregnancy and births and babies were healthy. 😊 I did , as my Mom did, feed strained baby foods such as bananas or rice cereal at a month and they were good sleepers as a result.They were happy babies and kids and now wonderful adults.

This article seems exaggerated. I sure hope that it was not a common way to raise life ds.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Id say about 90 percent of these aren't really in the past. Especially the family farms and artificial flavors.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Some aren't too bad. Lots of kids still work on farms today. They go to school or are homeschooled and they do just fine. I don't know about walking properly, but my oldest wasn't walking on time and as soon as I got him a pair of shoes he started walking so maybe he just wanted shoes, idk lol.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

There is a photo of my Mom holding my 3 week old sister feeding her baby food. She was aghast when we didn’t do the same and instead waited for the pediatrician to advise when to start. Of course when I’m a grandmother I too will think the “new way” is odd because “back in my day”...
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:05 pm There is a photo of my Mom holding my 3 week old sister feeding her baby food. She was aghast when we didn’t do the same and instead waited for the pediatrician to advise when to start. Of course when I’m a grandmother I too will think the “new way” is odd because “back in my day”...
Most of that kinda crap is why my Mother and MIL were not allowed to have my kids unsupervised until they started school. And even that was revoked when I caught my mother not using my daughter's booster seat. She hasn't seen my children unsupervised since.
Deleted User 1461

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:05 pm There is a photo of my Mom holding my 3 week old sister feeding her baby food. She was aghast when we didn’t do the same and instead waited for the pediatrician to advise when to start. Of course when I’m a grandmother I too will think the “new way” is odd because “back in my day”...
All our pediatricians recommended feeding babies strained baby food at a few months because then they would sleep well. Nobody can sleep with an empty , growling tummy. They don’t sleep well if they are only breastfed. If they’re hungry and can’t sleep , then they are crabby during the day .
The new modern theory is hard on babies and their moms! But things will change...!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

GMa4all wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:24 pm
All our pediatricians recommended feeding babies strained baby food at a few months because then they would sleep well. Nobody can sleep with an empty , growling tummy. They don’t sleep well if they are only breastfed. If they’re hungry and can’t sleep , then they are crabby during the day .
The new modern theory is hard on babies and their moms! But things will change...!
You are delusional to think that doctors and peds will stop encouraging EBF. Or feeding solids before 6 months.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

GMa4all wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:24 pm
So you believe the scientists now that recommend waiting until 6mo's or longer are wrong?
Locked Previous topicNext topic