Baking help

MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:32 am I use the food processor to make many of my pastry crusts. Just a few pulses, as to not overwork the gluten. I seem to have better luck than when I mix by hand. And as everyone has said, cold, cold, equipment & ingredients for the flaky part.
I use the food processor also. Put in your flour, salt and sugar and pulse for a minute to mix. Then add your cold butter cut into small pieces - you can cut it ahead and put it in the freezer for a bit to get it extra cold. Pulse a few times until the butter pieces are the size of peas. Then sprinkle in the cold water and pulse twice to incorporate, you should still see pieces of butter throughout. Put the mixture into a plastic bag and refrigerate at least an hour for the flour fully absorb the moisture. Roll out between sheets of parchment or saran wrap and don't touch it with your hands.

If you want to make a Mocha Pie why not just make a chocolate cookie crust? Crush up some chocolate wafer cookies into crumbs, add a little butter to make it hold together, and press it into the pie shell. Bake for 10 minutes and add the filling.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

For me, I find using only lard instead of shortening gives me a very flaking crust.
anonforever
Regent
Regent

Unread post

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12133 ... pie-crust/

This is the recipe I use.comes out perfect and flaky every time. I followed the directions of one of the reviewers and mix it gently with a fork after putting the cold water in. It makes a huge difference and makes the crust more delicate. I use regular baking flour.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:56 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:32 am I use the food processor to make many of my pastry crusts. Just a few pulses, as to not overwork the gluten. I seem to have better luck than when I mix by hand. And as everyone has said, cold, cold, equipment & ingredients for the flaky part.
I use the food processor also. Put in your flour, salt and sugar and pulse for a minute to mix. Then add your cold butter cut into small pieces - you can cut it ahead and put it in the freezer for a bit to get it extra cold. Pulse a few times until the butter pieces are the size of peas. Then sprinkle in the cold water and pulse twice to incorporate, you should still see pieces of butter throughout. Put the mixture into a plastic bag and refrigerate at least an hour for the flour fully absorb the moisture. Roll out between sheets of parchment or saran wrap and don't touch it with your hands.

If you want to make a Mocha Pie why not just make a chocolate cookie crust? Crush up some chocolate wafer cookies into crumbs, add a little butter to make it hold together, and press it into the pie shell. Bake for 10 minutes and add the filling.
Because the filling is already very chocolatey and don't want chocolate overkill.

ETA: I also want to hone my skills on learning how to make decent pie/tart crusts.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Two words: COLD butter

And the less your hands come in contact with the dough the better.
Lustywench
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:34 am

Because the filling is already very chocolatey and don't want chocolate overkill.

ETA: I also want to hone my skills on learning how to make decent pie/tart crusts.
I suggest using this recipe. Its calls for the pastry flour you purchased plus it uses lemon and orange zest in the dough. I just love oranges and chocolate together, some people dont.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ugh-recipe
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lustywench wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:24 pm
MistressMonster wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:34 am

I suggest using this recipe. Its calls for the pastry flour you purchased plus it uses lemon and orange zest in the dough. I just love oranges and chocolate together, some people dont.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ugh-recipe
I like orange and chocolate too.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Locked Previous topicNext topic