Baking help

MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So pie crusts are my nemesis. I am including tart shells with this. One of my baking experiments involves my mocha pie. I want to try making a tart shell for it, instead of the cream cheese pie crust I used last year. Which turned out very tough.

I did buy fine pastry flour last night. I would assume this will make a giant difference.
Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or advice?
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Buy 'em premade? lol I hate making pie crusts.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:50 pm Buy 'em premade? lol I hate making pie crusts.
I am trying to avoid that route. Premade taste funny to me.

JulesFairy
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

I just buy mine premade now, but making sure everything is super cold before and during your work is key. If you pull you food processor out of the dishwasher and the blade is still warm, it will affect the butter which effects everything else.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I like this recipe for tart shells, its a little sweet but delicious. I follow this blogger because she is very detailed and gives you a bunch of tips

https://bakingamoment.com/perfect-tart-crust-recipe/
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Use frozen butter and grate the amount of butter you need into your flour. Use ice water and pop your mixing bowl and beaters into the freezer for about 15 minutes before you start, if you're using a mixer. If you're using a food processor, pop the blade in the freezer to get cold. You want your butter to stay cold for a flaky crust.

https://www.marthastewart.com/856573/ba ... -apple-pie
1. The first rule of successful pie crust: Keep your butter cold!

See, there’s a reason that our fat starts cold and needs to stay cold before the pie crust hits the oven. Butter is made up of milk solids and water. When cold butter hits a hot oven, the water in the butter evaporates quickly, helping to create a flavorful and flakey crust. When warm, soft butter goes into a hot oven, the butter weeps in the crust before it evaporates. No one wants a weepy butter crust.

https://joythebaker.com/2014/11/five-ti ... t-scratch/
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I do own a pastry blender. It's always worked great for making biscuits. Granted biscuits is a different ball game. My rolling pin is marble.

Deleted User 670

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:55 pm I do own a pastry blender. It's always worked great for making biscuits. Granted biscuits is a different ball game. My rolling pin is marble.
Put the rolling pin in the freezer too before rolling out the dough.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Tough crust is from overworking the crust dough. It starts developing gluten bonds while working it so the less you work it to mix and roll the better. Grate frozen butter, hand mix with a delicate touch and roll quickly.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I use the food processor to make many of my pastry crusts. Just a few pulses, as to not overwork the gluten. I seem to have better luck than when I mix by hand. And as everyone has said, cold, cold, equipment & ingredients for the flaky part.
Locked Previous topicNext topic