BM wants SS to pay her back all the money she gave him for school

Nopeville
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Our kids have 529s that have been contributed to by me, DH, his dad, and my parents. They will be in charge of those funds when they get to college. The funds have to be used for education, but it will be up to my kids as to how to use them. I imagine that's at least similar to what SS has. If that is the case, BM can't. "make" him pay her anything.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Yet another post that makes me feel like the trolls need new material. :/
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Her question has been asked and answered. The boy is no longer a minor. He can do whatever he wants.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:52 pm How is this being controlled? I hope he uses the rest of these funds wisely because it certainly sounds like he isn't getting any more assistance from mom.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:48 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:46 pm I agree with you, Valentina. But I hope this mom didn't turn over those funds to her son. The way the post is written, it certainly sounds like that she did turn the funds over to him.

He is the one with access to the college fund. He could use it as soon as he turned 18. The money can only be used towards school. BM was not the only one who put money into the fund.
It's either a 529 Plan or a Coverdell Educational Trust. 529 Plans can be transferred to another child.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Nopeville wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:45 pm Our kids have 529s that have been contributed to by me, DH, his dad, and my parents. They will be in charge of those funds when they get to college. The funds have to be used for education, but it will be up to my kids as to how to use them. I imagine that's at least similar to what SS has. If that is the case, BM can't. "make" him pay her anything.
You can easily change the beneficiary of a 529 plan.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

MysticDreamer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 pm If it is a school only use account, and the young man is in college, the funds are his to use to in the school environment as he sees fit. Mom doesn’t have to find any part of his schooling if she doesn’t want to, although her support would be helpful as far him being successful in school.
She can change the beneficiary to another child, a stepchild, a foster child, a parent, an aunt or uncle, a niece or nephew, or a first cousin. I mean, she won't. She probably doesn't even know about this option. But she could.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:44 am
MysticDreamer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 pm If it is a school only use account, and the young man is in college, the funds are his to use to in the school environment as he sees fit. Mom doesn’t have to find any part of his schooling if she doesn’t want to, although her support would be helpful as far him being successful in school.
She can change the beneficiary to another child, a stepchild, a foster child, a parent, an aunt or uncle, a niece or nephew, or a first cousin. I mean, she won't. She probably doesn't even know about this option. But she could.
No she can't.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 am
No she can't.
What type of college fund is it?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:57 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 am
No she can't.
What type of college fund is it?
I'm not sure but she can't transfer it. It was something in the divorce also that says it has to go to SS.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Clearly, she's an ignorant idiot if she thinks psychologists/psychiatrists just "make stuff up." She's also a bitch to not be more supportive. If the fund is his to spend on education then she has no say and HE should not be expected to repay her in any way unless that was part of the deal from the beginning.
Locked Previous topicNext topic