Does where you go to college truly matter?

mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:02 pm
mater-three wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:26 pm When you go to the doctor, do you ask their college and GPA? If you do, you’re a bit weird. The point is, a degree is a degree whether you get it at Harvard or a community college.
It matters very much to the hospital system/practice hiring that doctor.
No it doesn’t but whatever. I know this for a fact.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:28 am
SolidlyAverage wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:02 pm
mater-three wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:26 pm When you go to the doctor, do you ask their college and GPA? If you do, you’re a bit weird. The point is, a degree is a degree whether you get it at Harvard or a community college.
It matters very much to the hospital system/practice hiring that doctor.
No it doesn’t but whatever. I know this for a fact.
Lol. Sorry, no, not true.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Goodness a degree from Harvard absolutely is worth more than a degree from community college. That's just absurd. I understand what you are trying to say but your example was a poor one.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:18 pm It really depends. I work in recruiting and a degree from some online school like university of Phoenix are a no go. DD is at a private university that is local and a lot of general degrees are probably not as impressive as somewhere like UT or Texas A&M but her degree in education will get her far because they have one of the top programs and she's been student teaching since her freshman year (she's a junior) and already has job offers once she completes her degree.
Wny no to UoP. My ex husband has one And he does fine with it.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:07 pm Yes it does. Anyone who says no is no probably is a broke fool.
I'm not broke and no one ever cared where I went to college. I suppose it depends on the job you want. Bill Gates or Steve Jobs never seemed to have a problem though.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It totally depends on what you have studied. Some professions give high priority to those with degrees from the higher end universities, but some do not. I have a degree from both university and college, but the name of that college has no bearing on my employment opportunities.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sometimes. My husband is an MIT graduate.. he likes to hire MIT graduates.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes, it can be important, but her mental health is also important. Id want to get down to the reasons why she's feeling this way because I'm not sure changing schools will help. Unless she goes to a tiny school, there are likely thousands of students who she could be friends with where she is. What is ultimately stopping those friendships? If she's in the same field, the classes shouldn't really be easier if she switches. If they are, she's most likely not going to get the quality of education that she would be if she stayed. Id spend time focusing on her overall mental health before encouraging a switch.
Ultimately if she hates it there, she should switch, but I'd want to make sure that the reasons why she is unhappy would actually change if she switched. it does matter to a point where she gets her degree from.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It may matter depending on the field. It did not matter for mine. Any employer that I have interviewed with didn't care which university I got my degree from. They only cared that I actually have my Bachelors in Accounting.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Sort of. If you go to some unaccredited, more or less scam school your resume will be thrown in the trash. That said, it really does matter who you know. I wouldn’t have the career I have now if I hadn’t been well connected.
Locked Previous topicNext topic