Does where you go to college truly matter?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Does the name of the university really matter, or is it more so just the act of getting a degree? DD goes to a top 30 school in the U.S. but is really unhappy there. She's struggling a lot with the classes she's taking and hasn't made any good friends (she's a sophomore) and is dealing with depression as a result of being there. I've suggested transferring but she only would want to transfer to a school that's close to home (that'd be CCU for us) which is not really a well-known/well-ranked school, and she's worried about transferring out of a school that could "give her a better degree". Obviously, her health and happiness is most important, but what do you think, does the name of the school truly matter for getting a good job after graduation?
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

When you go to the doctor, do you ask their college and GPA? If you do, you’re a bit weird. The point is, a degree is a degree whether you get it at Harvard or a community college.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

No it doesn't. Like mater said. It's the degree that counts. As long as its from an accredited university it doesn't really matter.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think it has some bearing when you first graduate and are looking for work, if you've gone to a prestigious school. It can maybe give you a leg up if it's between you and someone else. As you move on in your career, I think it carries less and less weight.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 pm I think it has some bearing when you first graduate and are looking for work, if you've gone to a prestigious school. It can maybe give you a leg up if it's between you and someone else. As you move on in your career, I think it carries less and less weight.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

It really depends. I work in recruiting and a degree from some online school like university of Phoenix are a no go. DD is at a private university that is local and a lot of general degrees are probably not as impressive as somewhere like UT or Texas A&M but her degree in education will get her far because they have one of the top programs and she's been student teaching since her freshman year (she's a junior) and already has job offers once she completes her degree.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

TBH with you, at this time, I would have her go to whatever school she is going to feel most comfortable at. If she's not comfortable, her depression is only going to get worse. And if that happens, there's a real possibility that whatever school she is at, she'll be dropping out of it.

My words to her would sound something like this, "Let's just get you to a place where you are comfortable and happy. If moving closer to home and attending X college gets you to that place, let's move you there."
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:15 pm Does the name of the university really matter, or is it more so just the act of getting a degree? DD goes to a top 30 school in the U.S. but is really unhappy there. She's struggling a lot with the classes she's taking and hasn't made any good friends (she's a sophomore) and is dealing with depression as a result of being there. I've suggested transferring but she only would want to transfer to a school that's close to home (that'd be CCU for us) which is not really a well-known/well-ranked school, and she's worried about transferring out of a school that could "give her a better degree". Obviously, her health and happiness is most important, but what do you think, does the name of the school truly matter for getting a good job after graduation?
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:26 pm When you go to the doctor, do you ask their college and GPA? If you do, you’re a bit weird. The point is, a degree is a degree whether you get it at Harvard or a community college.
It matters very much to the hospital system/practice hiring that doctor.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Yes it does. Anyone who says no is no probably is a broke fool.
Nopeville
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I can tell you that my mechanical engineer husband with a degree from a state school makes just as much money as his coworkers with degrees from MIT. So, in my experience, nope.
Locked Previous topicNext topic