Does where you go to college truly matter?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:21 pm The degree is what matters. What field does she want to work in?
She has no idea which is what is making it even more difficult for her. She doesn't feel like she's working toward anything purposeful.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:12 am Yes, it can be important, but her mental health is also important. Id want to get down to the reasons why she's feeling this way because I'm not sure changing schools will help. Unless she goes to a tiny school, there are likely thousands of students who she could be friends with where she is. What is ultimately stopping those friendships? If she's in the same field, the classes shouldn't really be easier if she switches. If they are, she's most likely not going to get the quality of education that she would be if she stayed. Id spend time focusing on her overall mental health before encouraging a switch.
Ultimately if she hates it there, she should switch, but I'd want to make sure that the reasons why she is unhappy would actually change if she switched. it does matter to a point where she gets her degree from.
She hasn't usually had trouble making friends in the past but she just hasn't really seemed to click with anyone and now that she's a sophomore, people aren't as readily out there looking to make friends since they have a pretty solidified group. She has no idea what she wants to go into after school which is adding to how she's feeling since she feels like she's not on the path to anything meaningful or purposeful.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

It depends on what she wants to do after graduation. If she is looking to go into a competitive field or apply to a competitive graduate program, it could matter. It's not worth her sacrificing her mental health if she is struggling so if she cannot come up with a plan to succeed where she is at, it may be best for her to go to a less competitive school closer to home.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

No, I have never found it matters unless it was unaccredited college.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You can see if the current college she is at does online courses and/or satelitle programs
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

In the real world, no. On MC yes!

Some colleges and universities are known for graduating certain professions but other than that who cares. I went to a state university known for their teaching and communication degrees but no one outside of PA would likely know it by name.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:15 pm Does the name of the university really matter, or is it more so just the act of getting a degree? DD goes to a top 30 school in the U.S. but is really unhappy there. She's struggling a lot with the classes she's taking and hasn't made any good friends (she's a sophomore) and is dealing with depression as a result of being there. I've suggested transferring but she only would want to transfer to a school that's close to home (that'd be CCU for us) which is not really a well-known/well-ranked school, and she's worried about transferring out of a school that could "give her a better degree". Obviously, her health and happiness is most important, but what do you think, does the name of the school truly matter for getting a good job after graduation?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Conweis wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 pm You can see if the current college she is at does online courses and/or satelitle programs
For her sake, I wish that was the case. It is not.
Anonymous 11

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:33 am In the real world, no. On MC yes!

Some colleges and universities are known for graduating certain professions but other than that who cares. I went to a state university known for their teaching and communication degrees but no one outside of PA would likely know it by name.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:15 pm Does the name of the university really matter, or is it more so just the act of getting a degree? DD goes to a top 30 school in the U.S. but is really unhappy there. She's struggling a lot with the classes she's taking and hasn't made any good friends (she's a sophomore) and is dealing with depression as a result of being there. I've suggested transferring but she only would want to transfer to a school that's close to home (that'd be CCU for us) which is not really a well-known/well-ranked school, and she's worried about transferring out of a school that could "give her a better degree". Obviously, her health and happiness is most important, but what do you think, does the name of the school truly matter for getting a good job after graduation?
So you went to a college known for teaching and decided to teach preschool...
Okay
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No. A state college degree to a person who continues learning is worth more than a Harvard grad who thinks he/she doesn’t need to learn anymore.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yes. Our boys were born in my 30’s. We decided instead of me going back to the classroom that I would stay home. When my youngest went to preschool I had the privilege of subbing in his 1 room classroom. When he went to school I applied for a local Christian school teaching the 4/5s who weren’t age ready yet for K. I then applied with the districts pre-k program and now work there.

I have the same perks and privileges teachers the 5 year olds as I did teaching 2nd grade. Only difference is I give them their base for elementary school instead of ha in git established. I have uninstalled backing, a pension through the pa public educators, and I don’t work summers. I couldn’t be happier with my career!

Anonymous 11 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:50 pm
Msprekteacher wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:33 am In the real world, no. On MC yes!

So you went to a college known for teaching and decided to teach preschool...
Okay
Locked Previous topicNext topic