How much should i put away?

Deleted User 172

Unread post

Ok single mom, looking to buy a house in the 130-150 range. Its below my "how much house can you afford" quotes by about 75k so i should be fine with the mortgage.

But here's my question. I'm looking at older homes with no roof, foundation, electrical, plumbing damage or repairs needed upon buying.
But how much $$ should i have put away for incidental repairs?

Is 10k enough to have saved just for those type of repairs? 20k? 30k?

Also. Are there any good warrenty companies that i can pay monthly too like insurance thay will cover costs like needing a new roof or something?
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I am certainly no contractor, but with a highly deploying Army husband, I have had more than my share of exposure with home things while he was away.

The general rule for repairs and maintenance that I was taught was one percent of your homes value per year, so $1,400 per year. I would think $10K is enough to pay for anything serious that comes up, but I would also keep an emergency savings account, not just for repairs, but anything that can come up without warning in life.

For home warranty companies, I have not heard of them beyond the standard seven year new house warranties offered by the builder.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:05 am I am certainly no contractor, but with a highly deploying Army husband, I have had more than my share of exposure with home things while he was away.

The general rule for repairs and maintenance that I was taught was one percent of your homes value per year, so $1,400 per year. I would think $10K is enough to pay for anything serious that comes up, but I would also keep an emergency savings account, not just for repairs, but anything that can come up without warning in life.

For home warranty companies, I have not heard of them beyond the standard seven year new house warranties offered by the builder.
That seems totally doable.
We woke up to this
20191022_053533.jpg
about a week ago and its since been fixed but i see things like this and it makes me scared to own.
But i do have $ saved and i want to make sure i can handle all the required repair costs before i buy.
I'd hate to buy a house then 3 weeks later i need to replace something like a water heater and don't have the $ to do it.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:10 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:05 am I am certainly no contractor, but with a highly deploying Army husband, I have had more than my share of exposure with home things while he was away.

We woke up to this 20191022_053533.jpg about a week ago and its since been fixed but i see things like this and it makes me scared to own.
But i do have $ saved and i want to make sure i can handle all the required repair costs before i buy.
I'd hate to buy a house then 3 weeks later i need to replace something like a water heater and don't have the $ to do it.
What is that?
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Off the top of my head, the most expensive repairs not covered by an insurance policy would be a new roof or a water main burst in your yard. Both cost around $10k here. We just did a new AC for $4k, a new furnace is about the same. I can't imagine all of those things would go wrong at once, so I would think $10k would be good.

I've not heard great things about home warranties, but sometimes a seller will buy one for you as an incentive. Get your realtor to try to negotiate that in to the contract. If it's free for you, no harm no foul.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:12 am
Dylexsmommy wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:10 am

We woke up to this 20191022_053533.jpg about a week ago and its since been fixed but i see things like this and it makes me scared to own.
What is that?
The ceiling above the stairs. We had a leak coming from the attic and it finally busted through.
Locked Previous topicNext topic