Why does my youngest make up tall tales ALL THE TIME?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:07 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:48 pm I’m over it. I can’t tell what’s real and what’s not.

He’s in preschool, FYI. He will start kindergarten next year.
Parents are the most important teachers their children have. The kids learn more from their parents than most people realize. If you lie and teach your child to lie, this is the result.
I don’t lie to my child. I do occasionally make an idle threat, but I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in that 😂
Anonymous 5

Unread post

At that age, kids don't realize they are lying. They see things how they want the outcome to be and they also have huge imaginations. You have to just keep talking to them.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

He's four. That's very common, especially if he has a vivid imagination. You should write his stories down. Who knows, you might have a novelist in training.

https://www.thetot.com/mama/understandi ... s-fantasy/

https://www.parenting.com/child/why-kid ... ge-by-age/
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I want to hear one of his tall tales.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

He is not lying, not in the sense that an adult would define lying. He is just pretending, so you turn it around and use it, have the child draw a story, etc. Then went he gets older you ask "is that what really happened or is that what you wanted to happen?". It allows them to learn to self correct, and gives them a clearer picture of what is real and what is not.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:29 pm You don't. You encourage it. Start creating homemade books with him.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:51 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:50 pmBecause you allow it
How do I prevent it?
This. I mean who knows? He could write the great American novel someday. I'd be the one to laugh and listen to it. Now if he's lying to get out of trouble that's a different problem.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Unless he's saying things that would get someone in trouble let the child's imagination flourish. The world will do it's best to beat that out of him soon enough.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It is age appropriate and normal at that age.
msgme
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My son used to come up with some doozies. He wasn’t lying But came up with some interesting stuff. One that sticks out was all the things that he did with someone named grandfather who may have been a cowboy based on his description. Which was actually a very vivid description. He would tell me he did these things with grandfather when he was younger before he was in my belly. They had some wild adventures now he’s 23 and doesn’t remember grandfather.
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Toddlers lie; it's just what they do sometimes, but usually it is because of their imagination. But they should be becoming out of it by preschool in my opinion. I definitely would not accept lying from a grade schooler. Been there with the lying and, specially with our oldest, it was something we had to workout with her.
Locked Previous topicNext topic