Letting strangers move in your house with your children is irresponsible

notyourmomma
Villein
Villein

Unread post

I've briefly considered renting out my 2 extra bedrooms. But no. I think "my kids would be sleeping on the same floor as strangers" and the answer is a hard no.
If it was a very good friend I would, but never a stranger.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anyone (family or stranger) can be a danger, but in general renting a room with small kids should be a last resort.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My mom did it back in the late 80's. When we moved out to Cali we moved in with my aunt and uncle "just for a couple weeks" until my mom could find an apartment for us. Six months later we were still all living together. But then sometime after that my Aunt & Uncle moved out and were willing to rent the house to my mom. However, the minimum rent they needed was more than my mom could afford. It was a 4 bedroom house, plus an extra den downstairs. So my sister got the den as her bedroom, I got the bedroom right next to the master, and my mom rented out the other two bedrooms.

Some renters were great. One was a female college student who had the sweetest personality.

Others were not great, like the dad with two high school aged sons. The sons were kind of bullies to my sister and I (I was about 10 at the time and my sister was 14/15). An example of things they did - I was rather scared of the dark at the time, and one time I was downstairs in the living room with the light on. One of the boys turned the light out from the top of the stairs so I yelled "hey!" as I ran over to the bottom of the stairs to turn it back on with that switch. But as soon as I turned it on he turned it off again. Over and over and over again until I was clearly upset by the whole thing. Lots of stupid shit like that to just torment my sister and I.

And then some renters were pure drama like this one lady with her daughter who was one year older than me. At first it was great because the mom became really good friends with my mom and I became good friends with the daughter. For a while it was like an ideal situation. But then something happened to the two moms, I don't even know what, and they were completely on the outs with each other. It ended up turning the daughter and me against each other too. It's a really tense situation when you are living in the same house with people that you don't want to talk to at all. For a few months until the mom & daughter found a new place, they never came out of their bedroom except to use the bathroom. And the mom smoked so by the time they left, that room reeked of smoke something awful. It became a horrible situation all around.

IME, strangers as roommates rarely works out well in the long run.
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

No, but much safer than men esp with a teen daughter in the house

Ilovemydaughter06 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:51 am
Oliviasmom72 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:15 pm I guarantee having a woman live with you is safer than random men and boyfriends that women with kids have on here.

What little roommate drama I may have doesn’t compare to the shit women who move boyfriends in deal with
You honestly think a woman is 100% safe?
Anonymous 8

Unread post

I agree. I knew many, many women who did this when I worked at the club (before I had kids). They’d move in with guys they just met to avoid motel fees and/or being homeless. Many addicts do this too. No wonder cps was involved with a lot of them.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Oliviasmom72 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:21 pm No, but much safer than men esp with a teen daughter in the house

Ilovemydaughter06 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:51 am
Oliviasmom72 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:15 pm I guarantee having a woman live with you is safer than random men and boyfriends that women with kids have on here.

What little roommate drama I may have doesn’t compare to the shit women who move boyfriends in deal with
You honestly think a woman is 100% safe?
Some things being worse doesn't make things better.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I had my housekeeper for years before I had kids, and she became their nanny once I needed one. Babysitters have all been family, when they’re at tennis I sit there and watch... so I guess the only situation that applies here is when I send them to school. Although I’ve had family that went to the same school that are now in high school that said their elementary school years were great, and I do meet them before hand and volunteer with the PTA a few times a week on campus .
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:36 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:56 pm I agree. It’s not something I would ever do.
Have you ever had a nanny, a housekeeper, or even just a casual babysitter?

Have you ever put your children in a gym child care, sent them to preschool, or sent them to regular school? Have you hired a tennis pro and dropped your kids off for the lesson while you went to the grocery store?

In all of the above scenarios you are placing your kids in the care of a relative stranger. In this case, the roommate is likely never alone with her kids.......
Locked Previous topicNext topic