Old puppy dog seizures :(

Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My weimaraner is 15 going on 16. She is pretty active for her age but I'm starting to be reminded she's not young anymore.

She's started to have occasional seizures. The first few times it happened over the summer she just fell over when we were out for a walk and I thought the heat might have gotten to her so we limited how much we did that. I didn't realize the first few times that she was seizing. But now its cooler and it still happens sometimes. Like tonight when I came home and she was excited to see me, and she fell over and paddled her legs, peed, and drooled. The whole thing only lasted about 30 seconds but it took her a few minutes to collect herself and get back up when it was over.

These happen between once a week and once a month. Has anyone gone through this before? Is it likely to worsen over time? Is there anything I can give her besides prescription meds to help prevent them?

The vet said she thinks its just bad anemia - even though she was sniffing around the office the entire time and wouldn't sit still, her labs showed very low numbers. Which is far better than anything I read on Google. I got some prescriptions and instructions on what to give her to boost her red blood cell count. 

Thank you to everyone here for the kind words and sharing your stories.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think that's a stroke sweetie, I'm sorry to say. We had a sweet little Beagle/Terrier and the same thing happened to her. We took her in and it turned out it was strokes. Have you brought her in to the vet?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 pm I think that's a stroke sweetie, I'm sorry to say. We had a sweet little Beagle/Terrier and the same thing happened to her. We took her in and it turned out it was strokes. Have you brought her in to the vet?

Ohhhh wow! I haven't taken her to the vet recently. I guess I should. I'm just wary of putting her on meds. But if they're strokes and not seizures? What did your vet tell you about it? Did anything help your little dog?
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My old dog (16 yrs old) started having seizures. They were mild in the beginning and got worse over the course of a year. I had to put her down after a really bad seizure.
hugs
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Aww am so sorry .. hugs hon to you & your furbaby
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

hugs wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:07 pm Aww am so sorry .. hugs hon to you & your furbaby

Thanks. She will always be my puppy. I hate to see her getting old but she's already outlived her expected lifespan by several years which I'm grateful for.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Have you talked to the vet about this?
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:27 pm Have you talked to the vet about this?

I haven't. Its been awhile since she's seen the vet and I only recently realized these episodes were probably seizures.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:57 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:27 pm Have you talked to the vet about this?

I haven't. Its been awhile since she's seen the vet and I only recently realized these episodes were probably seizures.
Then you need to see a vet immediately, like tomorrow.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Our lab had seizures when he was younger about 4 or 5. We had him on medication for about a year and he grew out of them. He will be 14 on Halloween and is definitely showing his age. I’m not ready to lose him but I know it could happen at any time. He is the best dog and my first baby. He is about 6 months older than my eldest child.

Take him to the vet and possibly get him on some meds. Good luck hun. Those fur babies are just the best.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Locked Previous topicNext topic