Old puppy dog seizures :(

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What you are describing is exactly what our dog did and it was seizures. She would have them about once a month. Like you said, she would drop down, kick her legs rapidly, pee herself, drool, whimper a bit. It was done in about 30 seconds but then it would take her several minutes before she "came around" and could get back up on her feet. Then she'd wander around for about half an hour, almost puppy-like, like she had forgotten who she was and where she was. It would all come back after not too long and then she was fine.

We talked to the vet about them. He said there is a drug that can be given to them but he doesn't like to go that route unless the seizures are regularly at least once every two weeks, or more often. He said once the dog goes on the drug, they are on it for life, they can never go off of it. So at only once a month he didn't figure it was worth it to do the drugs.

I would at least suggest start journaling the seizures. Date, time, reactions, and anything prior you can remember that happened. Journaling could potentially reveal a pattern, and it will at least help a vet understand what is going on with your dog.

BTW - Ours was a Golden Retriever. She started having the seizures when she was 12 and continued to have them for 4 years before she died. Just because your dog has started having them, doesn't necessarily mean an immediate death sentence.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

My little guy (dog) was doing something like what you described (except for the peeing). My vet told me that he wasn't having seizures...that it was syncope.

Either way, though, I'm so sorry that your dog is going through this. I know it's very hard, as the "mom" to watch them go through it. :(

Let us know what your vet says! Good luck to you and your pooch. :)
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:42 am
Smarties wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:42 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 pm I think that's a stroke sweetie, I'm sorry to say. We had a sweet little Beagle/Terrier and the same thing happened to her. We took her in and it turned out it was strokes. Have you brought her in to the vet?

Ohhhh wow! I haven't taken her to the vet recently. I guess I should. I'm just wary of putting her on meds. But if they're strokes and not seizures? What did your vet tell you about it? Did anything help your little dog?
We took her in with the third one, realizing it wasn't just an anomaly. There was nothing that they could do to prevent them. She was pretty elderly by then, I think around 16. He'd told us that every time it happened it was messing up her organs more and more and that she'd start to go into organ failure. We ended up letting her go.

I'm hoping your baby has something treatable, but I'd definitely take a trip to the vet sooner rather than later. Good luck to both of you guys. I wish they lived for 100 years. ❤

Thanks. She's going Monday. She's being especially lovey today.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:05 pm What you are describing is exactly what our dog did and it was seizures. She would have them about once a month. Like you said, she would drop down, kick her legs rapidly, pee herself, drool, whimper a bit. It was done in about 30 seconds but then it would take her several minutes before she "came around" and could get back up on her feet. Then she'd wander around for about half an hour, almost puppy-like, like she had forgotten who she was and where she was. It would all come back after not too long and then she was fine.

We talked to the vet about them. He said there is a drug that can be given to them but he doesn't like to go that route unless the seizures are regularly at least once every two weeks, or more often. He said once the dog goes on the drug, they are on it for life, they can never go off of it. So at only once a month he didn't figure it was worth it to do the drugs.

I would at least suggest start journaling the seizures. Date, time, reactions, and anything prior you can remember that happened. Journaling could potentially reveal a pattern, and it will at least help a vet understand what is going on with your dog.

BTW - Ours was a Golden Retriever. She started having the seizures when she was 12 and continued to have them for 4 years before she died. Just because your dog has started having them, doesn't necessarily mean an immediate death sentence.

Thank you for sharing all of that info with me. I'm writing everything down that I remember and will record things going forward. Its a good idea.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 pm
Smarties wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:42 pm

Ohhhh wow! I haven't taken her to the vet recently. I guess I should. I'm just wary of putting her on meds. But if they're strokes and not seizures? What did your vet tell you about it? Did anything help your little dog?
We took her in with the third one, realizing it wasn't just an anomaly. There was nothing that they could do to prevent them. She was pretty elderly by then, I think around 16. He'd told us that every time it happened it was messing up her organs more and more and that she'd start to go into organ failure. We ended up letting her go.

I'm hoping your baby has something treatable, but I'd definitely take a trip to the vet sooner rather than later. Good luck to both of you guys. I wish they lived for 100 years. ❤

Good! Let us know how she does and I'll be sending all kinds of good positive puppy vibes your way! Isn't that sweet...enjoy your snuggles. We all want to be by mom when we don't feel good ❤
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:55 am

Good! Let us know how she does and I'll be sending all kinds of good positive puppy vibes your way! Isn't that sweet...enjoy your snuggles. We all want to be by mom when we don't feel good ❤

The vet said she thinks its just bad anemia - even though she was sniffing around the office the entire time and wouldn't sit still, her labs showed very low numbers. Which is far better than anything I read on Google. I got some prescriptions and instructions on what to give her to boost her red blood cell count.

Thank you to everyone here for the kind words and sharing your stories.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:39 pm

The vet said she thinks its just bad anemia - even though she was sniffing around the office the entire time and wouldn't sit still, her labs showed very low numbers. Which is far better than anything I read on Google. I got some prescriptions and instructions on what to give her to boost her red blood cell count.

Good luck! My Patches (14-year-old cat) was anemic. I boosted her levels with Solgar's Gentle Iron Capsules. Since she's only 10lbs, I just gave her 1/2 a capsule and by the next time blood work was run, her iron was in the normal range. It doesn't cause constipation either. I've taken it myself when my ferritin levels were low.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Good luck! My Patches (14-year-old cat) was anemic. I boosted her levels with Solgar's Gentle Iron Capsules. Since she's only 10lbs, I just gave her 1/2 a capsule and by the next time blood work was run, her iron was in the normal range. It doesn't cause constipation either. I've taken it myself when my ferritin levels were low.

Thanks! I was just looking at iron supplements! I'll looks these up.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That's AWESOME Smarties! So happy for both of you! ❤
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic