Old puppy dog seizures :(

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:42 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 pm I think that's a stroke sweetie, I'm sorry to say. We had a sweet little Beagle/Terrier and the same thing happened to her. We took her in and it turned out it was strokes. Have you brought her in to the vet?

Ohhhh wow! I haven't taken her to the vet recently. I guess I should. I'm just wary of putting her on meds. But if they're strokes and not seizures? What did your vet tell you about it? Did anything help your little dog?
We took her in with the third one, realizing it wasn't just an anomaly. There was nothing that they could do to prevent them. She was pretty elderly by then, I think around 16. He'd told us that every time it happened it was messing up her organs more and more and that she'd start to go into organ failure. We ended up letting her go.

I'm hoping your baby has something treatable, but I'd definitely take a trip to the vet sooner rather than later. Good luck to both of you guys. I wish they lived for 100 years. ❤
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Deleted User 670

Unread post

If it turns out she's having seizures, you might want to try Charlotte's Web CBD oil. It was developed specifically for a little girl who had constant, uncontrollable seizures. You can get Charlotte's Web CBD oil online as the THC content is well below the threshold to consider it a controlled substance. My local health food store even carries it.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Those are all signs of seizures. I know because Kerry started having them 3 years ago at Christmas. I took her to the vet and they did some testing and found that it is seizures and put her on Keppra twice a day for the rest of her life. Last summer, they also found a heart arrhythmia and she is also on sotalol twice a day as well. When Kerry has a seizure, her legs stiffen up, she sways side to side, pees all over the place and has to be on top of me for the whole episode. Some animals will fall over onto their sides, paddle their legs and pee while others do what Kerry does. The classic seizure is what OP's dog did with falling over, paddling her legs and peeing.
OP- you need to take her into the vet asap...especially given her age and the fact that she is a large breed ( I'm glad I'm not the only one that has animals live for an unusually long time! My afghan mix was 14 when I had to ler her go in 2007. Most large dogs only live 8-10 years)

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 pm I think that's a stroke sweetie, I'm sorry to say. We had a sweet little Beagle/Terrier and the same thing happened to her. We took her in and it turned out it was strokes. Have you brought her in to the vet?
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:37 am Those are all signs of seizures. I know because Kerry started having them 3 years ago at Christmas. I took her to the vet and they did some testing and found that it is seizures and put her on Keppra twice a day for the rest of her life. Last summer, they also found a heart arrhythmia and she is also on sotalol twice a day as well. When Kerry has a seizure, her legs stiffen up, she sways side to side, pees all over the place and has to be on top of me for the whole episode. Some animals will fall over onto their sides, paddle their legs and pee while others do what Kerry does. The classic seizure is what OP's dog did with falling over, paddling her legs and peeing.
OP- you need to take her into the vet asap...especially given her age and the fact that she is a large breed ( I'm glad I'm not the only one that has animals live for an unusually long time! My afghan mix was 14 when I had to ler her go in 2007. Most large dogs only live 8-10 years)

Poor girl! I'm so glad you were able to fix Kerry. It's scary and heartbreaking to watch them go through that. I'm definitely hoping that's all it is, but a vet visit is definitely in order.

On the longevity note, my labby actually made it to 13 and a half. Labs usually don't make it much past 10, but she kept kicking - blind, diabetic and everything! She had quite a spirit that one.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:11 am If it turns out she's having seizures, you might want to try Charlotte's Web CBD oil. It was developed specifically for a little girl who had constant, uncontrollable seizures. You can get Charlotte's Web CBD oil online as the THC content is well below the threshold to consider it a controlled substance. My local health food store even carries it.
You're so good with the naturopathic remedies Pink. You're like an herbal US pharmacopeia!
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I thought my old man was having seizures but the emergency vet finally witnessed one and she said he was experiencing full body muscle contractions due to nerve damage. His regular vet said he would have to be on lifelong medication and might still need to be put to sleep. I did some research, started cooking his food and put him on a few supplements and he's been happy, healthy and med free for a few years now. He takes a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement for his joints, hemp oil and CBD oil from Lazarus Naturals. With that combo he is walking around like a champ and went from having those spasms several times a day to once a month. I would definitely get a vet's opinion on if they're actually seizures first before I just assumed anything.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:12 am
mcginnisc wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:37 am Those are all signs of seizures. I know because Kerry started having them 3 years ago at Christmas. I took her to the vet and they did some testing and found that it is seizures and put her on Keppra twice a day for the rest of her life. Last summer, they also found a heart arrhythmia and she is also on sotalol twice a day as well. When Kerry has a seizure, her legs stiffen up, she sways side to side, pees all over the place and has to be on top of me for the whole episode. Some animals will fall over onto their sides, paddle their legs and pee while others do what Kerry does. The classic seizure is what OP's dog did with falling over, paddling her legs and peeing.

Poor girl! I'm so glad you were able to fix Kerry. It's scary and heartbreaking to watch them go through that. I'm definitely hoping that's all it is, but a vet visit is definitely in order.

On the longevity note, my labby actually made it to 13 and a half. Labs usually don't make it much past 10, but she kept kicking - blind, diabetic and everything! She had quite a spirit that one.
My guy is a lab/chow/mastiff mix and is 15 years old and going strong. His eyesight isn't great and he has arthritis but he's still in pretty good health otherwise.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

bmw29 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:36 am
Valentina327 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:12 am

My guy is a lab/chow/mastiff mix and is 15 years old and going strong. His eyesight isn't great and he has arthritis but he's still in pretty good health otherwise.
AWESOME! That's so great to hear!
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I agree with taking her to the vet. My MIL has a dog that drops to the floor, and seems to be in pain for a few minutes. Turns out he has a bad heart. He's 14 I think. Small terrier mix. He's on medication, and it helps for the most part. Talking with your vet, and having her seen would be the best place to start. Good luck to you and your puppy!

Anonymous 1

Unread post

If it happens again before you get to the vet, pull out your phone and video tape it for the vet.
Locked Previous topicNext topic