Reoccurring strep?

Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:56 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:55 pm
Fullxbusymom wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:54 pm Our pediatrician makes us wait 48hrs before starting the antibiotic to let the body build up natural immunities. We have now been strep free for years.
If we wait 48 hours, she breaks out in a rash head to toe, and becomes very very sick. Something has to be done within 24 hours of the first sign of a sore throat or she is out of commission for 2-3 days.
Yes, that is normal but it may help her build a natural immunity to prevent her from getting it again.
It depends on the person's medical history. Some might be able to wait, but those with an underling illness or weakened immune system shouldn't.
My SO had enlarged, adenoids and tonsils and developed rheumatic fever in the past. After that the doctors didn't even wait for the culture test if the rapid test came back negative. They would start him on antibiotics. When he decided to wait it out one more day, he died.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:18 am
Yipes-Stripes wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:33 am My 4 year old dd had it 8 times in a year. She wouldn't show any symptoms that anyone else could notice (naps when she never naps, fits over nothing) but as a mom you get used to the signs. My older daughter and I never got it when she did. She got her tonsils out over the summer, and has been healthy since. They don't like to do it as much anymore, but it is still pretty common. The recovery is around 7-10 days, but definitely beats them being miserable for a few days several times a year
That's the thing, no one ever believes me that she has strep. It never looks like strep. So they like to pass it off as oh it's a cold or allergies. She will get a slight sore throat, and then if we don't get antibiotics right then and there, she will just DROP. Full body rash, lethargic, stomach pain. I have even had UC dr's look at me like I am crazy when they ask how long she has had a sore throat and I say since this morning (and it's 9am in the UC) yet of course the culture they send out is always positive.

Right now because I delayed in taking her in until Sunday, and then had to wait until yesterday for the culture, she is at my dads really sick. It just sucks.
A full body rash actually IS a sign of strep: scarlet fever, which is advanced strep.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Conweis wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:36 pm

If we wait 48 hours, she breaks out in a rash head to toe, and becomes very very sick. Something has to be done within 24 hours of the first sign of a sore throat or she is out of commission for 2-3 days.
Yes, that is normal but it may help her build a natural immunity to prevent her from getting it again.
It depends on the person's medical history. Some might be able to wait, but those with an underling illness or weakened immune system shouldn't.
My SO had enlarged, adenoids and tonsils and developed rheumatic fever in the past. After that the doctors didn't even wait for the culture test if the rapid test came back negative. They would start him on antibiotics. When he decided to wait it out one more day, he died.
He DIED? 😯
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:13 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:00 pm I always thought that meant they need their tonsils out.
I asked her last pediatrician about that (When we were on the 3rd time of strep this year) she said that they don't like to take tonsils out anymore.

We have a new Dr now so maybe I can get her a referral or something.
That doctor was an idiot, hopefully the new one isnt. Good luck
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:58 pm
Conweis wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:36 pm

He DIED? 😯
Yes, my SO passed away in 2016.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Have they tested the other members of your family for strep? If someone in the home is a hidden carrier your daughter could keep catching it from them. Or, the antibiotics they're giving her aren't completely killing the strep and it comes back over and over. Ask the doctor to test all of you and to give her a stronger antibiotic. The rash she's getting is an indication that she's developed scarlet fever from the strep infection so there's a high chance the amoxycillan isn't getting rid of it completely. Since this is an ongoing thing you're doctor should be able to give you an additional prescription at the pharmacy to fill as soon as symptoms show, instead of having to go to urgent care where doctors don't know her history.
notyourmomma
Villein
Villein

Unread post

Jskidmore1946 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:01 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:46 pm I had strep 4 times in 8 months as a teen. My doctor said he’d take my tonsils out if I got it again. I didn’t get it again. Try threatening her with surgery. ;)

Good luck.
Why would you threaten her with her surgery? She isn't catching it on purpose or faking it. Why make that step a punishment
Went right over your head didn't it?
blsdbyangel07
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

Naeem had his tonsils removed spring break of this year due to reoccurring strep. He had it 8 times within a 6 month period. I would definitely recommend bringing it up to your child’s doctor and requesting a referral to a ENT!
🏈💙Proud Mama to Naeem🖤🏈
blsdbyangel07
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:54 pm Our pediatrician makes us wait 48hrs before starting the antibiotic to let the body build up natural immunities. We have now been strep free for years.
That sounds like scarlet fever, it happens when strep gets really bad and goes unmedicated. Naeem has had it twice. Definitely request a referral to the ENT. Naeem has enlarged tonsils since he was a toddler. When they removed his adenoids and put in tubes we asked about his tonsils but we were told to hold off. He was okay for awhile but the past year has been literal hell with him having strep nearly monthly. He had his tonsils removed back during spring break and so far so good! I hope she feels better soon!
🏈💙Proud Mama to Naeem🖤🏈
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Jskidmore1946 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:01 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:46 pm I had strep 4 times in 8 months as a teen. My doctor said he’d take my tonsils out if I got it again. I didn’t get it again. Try threatening her with surgery. ;)

Good luck.
Why would you threaten her with her surgery? She isn't catching it on purpose or faking it. Why make that step a punishment
She was joking...
Locked Previous topicNext topic