Reoccurring strep?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:54 pm Our pediatrician makes us wait 48hrs before starting the antibiotic to let the body build up natural immunities. We have now been strep free for years.
If we wait 48 hours, she breaks out in a rash head to toe, and becomes very very sick. Something has to be done within 24 hours of the first sign of a sore throat or she is out of commission for 2-3 days.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:35 pm DD had a sore throat on Saturday, Sunday I took her to UC because 99/100 times she has a sore throat it turns out it's strep.

She has had it 5 times since January that I can see (I think she had it once more this year but we went to a different UC where they don't have my chart). It knocks her on her ass.

We finish the Antibiotics (always amoxicillin), we replace all the tooth brushes, rewash all the dishes disinfect the house. Yet she gets it over and over.

Yet when we take her in they always say it doesn't "look" like strep no red throat, no swollen tonsils etc and when they swab her the rapid test comes back negative, yet when they send in the culture, it comes back positive the next morning.

She has tested negative before, so it's not like she "always has it".

is there anything we can do to stop this? 5 times in less than a year is crazy. Plus no one else in the house ever gets it just her. She has an appointment with her Pediatrician tomorrow, but I don't even know if there is anything she can do.

Advice?
When I first started teaching, almost every cold I got turned to strep. It was awful. During my second year teaching, I mentioned it in the faculty room at lunch and SEVERAL teachers told me to take Echinacea and Goldenseal...both available in the herbs and twigs section of the pharmacy, often together in the same pill. The label says to take 2-3 pills a day. I don't do that. I take 2-3 pills a week, unless I feel a cold starting, in which case I go to one a day for a while. This has resulted in a LOT fewer colds and I've had strep maybe twice in the last 25 years.

Talk with the pedi, obviously, about such supplements. But I started it with both of my kids sometime around 11 or 12 years old...right about the time they started to feel that I-can't-afford-to-be-sick-right-now feeling.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I took her to see her new pediatrician today. She looked and said her throat was not red and her tonsils didn't look red or swollen. She honestly believes that she might just be a carrier and that her symptoms have nothing to do with the strep, it's just that we she does get symptoms, we take her in thinking "damn it's strep again" and they test her and of course it comes back positive every time.

She still wants us to finish the antibiotics course and then come in after that to see if she still tests positive, then we will go from there.
Kel_in_AZ
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

I had strept constantly in my 20s. I had my tonsils out when I was 28. Best thing I ever did. I haven't had strept in over 20 years.

Are you seeing an ENT? If not I suggest you do that soon. Taking antibiotics that often is not good.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Jskidmore1946 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:42 pm
Fullxbusymom wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:54 pm Our pediatrician makes us wait 48hrs before starting the antibiotic to let the body build up natural immunities. We have now been strep free for years.
I would be having finding a new doctor
It obviously worked and I am very thankful.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:55 pm
If we wait 48 hours, she breaks out in a rash head to toe, and becomes very very sick. Something has to be done within 24 hours of the first sign of a sore throat or she is out of commission for 2-3 days.
Yes, that is normal but it may help her build a natural immunity to prevent her from getting it again.
silverdawn99
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

My daughter went through this. It got so bad that she became allergic to the antibiotics. We got her tonsils out and we haven't had an issue since then
MuggleMama
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Jskidmore1946 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:01 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:46 pm I had strep 4 times in 8 months as a teen. My doctor said he’d take my tonsils out if I got it again. I didn’t get it again. Try threatening her with surgery. ;)

Good luck.
Why would you threaten her with her surgery? She isn't catching it on purpose or faking it. Why make that step a punishment

This was definitely a joke
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

My youngest gets strep twice a year. He got it the first time in kinder..and has gotten it every school year since. He's just gotten over the latest round. Not once has the doctor even hinted at getting his tonsils removed.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If strep is reoccurring, it might be time for her tonsils to come out.
Locked Previous topicNext topic