Reoccurring strep?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

DD had a sore throat on Saturday, Sunday I took her to UC because 99/100 times she has a sore throat it turns out it's strep.

She has had it 5 times since January that I can see (I think she had it once more this year but we went to a different UC where they don't have my chart). It knocks her on her ass.

We finish the Antibiotics (always amoxicillin), we replace all the tooth brushes, rewash all the dishes disinfect the house. Yet she gets it over and over.

Yet when we take her in they always say it doesn't "look" like strep no red throat, no swollen tonsils etc and when they swab her the rapid test comes back negative, yet when they send in the culture, it comes back positive the next morning.

She has tested negative before, so it's not like she "always has it".

is there anything we can do to stop this? 5 times in less than a year is crazy. Plus no one else in the house ever gets it just her. She has an appointment with her Pediatrician tomorrow, but I don't even know if there is anything she can do.

Advice?
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I'd start requesting something stronger than amoxicillin since it sounds like she's a carrier. She's not sharing food and drink with kids at school is she?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:38 pm I'd start requesting something stronger than amoxicillin since it sounds like she's a carrier. She's not sharing food and drink with kids at school is she?
No, not that I aware of, I do share stuff with her but for some reason I never get strep. She usually ends up staying home a couple of days when she gets it. If we don't catch it early like take her in the day or the day after her throat kind of hurt she will break out in a rash head to toe and become a limp noodle (This has happened once this year, and 2 times in the past).
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I had strep 4 times in 8 months as a teen. My doctor said he’d take my tonsils out if I got it again. I didn’t get it again. Try threatening her with surgery. ;)

Good luck.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I always thought that meant they need their tonsils out.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Jskidmore1946
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:46 pm I had strep 4 times in 8 months as a teen. My doctor said he’d take my tonsils out if I got it again. I didn’t get it again. Try threatening her with surgery. ;)

Good luck.
Why would you threaten her with her surgery? She isn't catching it on purpose or faking it. Why make that step a punishment
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Wow that is pretty bad. I would ask for a referral to an ENT doctor. Removing the tonsils would probably solve this.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:46 pm I had strep 4 times in 8 months as a teen. My doctor said he’d take my tonsils out if I got it again. I didn’t get it again. Try threatening her with surgery. ;)

Good luck.
...How were you getting streptococcus on purpose?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:00 pm I always thought that meant they need their tonsils out.
I asked her last pediatrician about that (When we were on the 3rd time of strep this year) she said that they don't like to take tonsils out anymore.

We have a new Dr now so maybe I can get her a referral or something.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Consider having her tonsils removed. When I was in the Army, if you got strep 6+ times in 12 months you were eligible for having them removed. I don't know if it's the same on the civilian side, but it's worth considering.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Locked Previous topicNext topic