Help, how do I get rid of this smell?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Last night DH started the dishwasher before bed.

We woke up to a weird smell and realized a plastic serving spoon had fallen to the bottom of the dishwasher and was melted/burned on the heating element.

There's no charred marks anywhere so I know a fire did not start but it smells bad.

I wiped everything down in my kitchen with vinegar. I put vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher and started a "Cleaning" cycle on it. I removed the filter and cleaned it, and I cleaned the drain/garbage disposal that connects to the dishwasher. I opened windows. All that has helped but I still smell it.

Any ideas?
Shaken1976
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Open doors and windows and turn on a fan facing outside.
https://www.vettix.org/ref/230481

If you or your spouse is a Vet, check out this link. They offer really cheap tickets to local events and concerts. I have done a lot of cool stuff through them.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Put some vanilla, a little water, and cinnamon in a glass bowl thats oven safe. Bake on 350 for 30 minutes.
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Put baking soda in the soap compartment and run it a few times.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I'd choke the person that did that! Damn it!
Anonymous 4

Unread post

That happened to us with a container lid once. All that really helped was opening the windows and letting the house air out. I also re - washed all the dishes with vinegar because the plastic took on the smell. I used to always turn our dishwasher on before bed but our neighbors had major damage when they did the same and it ended up flooding the kitchen! I try to do it first thing in the morning now instead if it's too late to finish the cycle before bed.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Running the dishwasher before bed is stupid.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Open the windows and doors and spray Febreze air freshener all around. If you don't have the air freshener, regular Febreze will work in a pinch. I have used the regular stuff to get rid of the smoke smell when my brother started a fire in the fireplace with the flue closed. I sprayed it on the walls, drapes, furniture, rug and in the air. Made a big difference. You could also throw a handful (or more) baking soda in the dishwasher and run a short cycle and see if that helps. You can also put a pot of water on the stove with vinegar and let it simmer.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:47 am Running the dishwasher before bed is stupid.
Well damn I must be as stupid as hell, because for over 30 years, I turn the dishwasher on right before I go to bed. I wipe down the counters, make sure everything is put away, any remaining dishes loaded, and turn it on. When I wake up the dishes and kitchen are clean, yea that's really stupid.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:51 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:47 am Running the dishwasher before bed is stupid.
Well damn I must be as stupid as hell, because for over 30 years, I turn the dishwasher on right before I go to bed. I wipe down the counters, make sure everything is put away, any remaining dishes loaded, and turn it on. When I wake up the dishes and kitchen are clean, yea that's really stupid.
You risk flooding, a fire, and what is happening in this post. It is much smarter to just do it when you are awake and can keep an eye on it. I clean my whole kitchen at night and start the dishwasher in the morning or right after dinner before I go to bed.
Locked Previous topicNext topic