Yoga?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Any yogies here?

Do you practice solo? If so how do you go through a whole routine without anyone instructing you? Its not that I dont know what to do, I have been going to classes for a while and am pretty familiar with the poses and how to do them. But when I try to go solo, I feel lost and a little unmotivated. I like going out to the pond or by the lake to work out, so things like youtube is not an option. Is there a specific routine that you put together? How do you do it?
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I have an app on my phone I use.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:55 pm I have an app on my phone I use.
Shoot I completely forget about apps. Im not usually into apps so it never crosses my mind lol. What app do you use?
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:57 pm
Shoot I completely forget about apps. Im not usually into apps so it never crosses my mind lol. What app do you use?
FitStar yoga. There are plenty of free options and others you can chose to pay for.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:02 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:57 pm
FitStar yoga. There are plenty of free options and others you can chose to pay for.
Awesome, thanks!
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I do classes sometimes and solo sometimes. The classes do push me to try new poses and to hold them longer - and to do series of sun salutations that I wouldn't do on my own. But I like solo as well. I have certain sequences of warrior poses I like to do, and a sitting routine as well. All of it is good for you, there is no "wrong" yoga.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sometimes I'll go to a group class if I find a coupon, but for my daily yoga, I do it on my own. I have some dvds that I sometimes use, but for the most part I just make my own routine and follow that. If I'm in need of some extra motivation, I listen to a yoga podcast while I do it.
7byher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I just started. I've been using the "intro to yoga" app.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I've only ever done classes, too. Maybe it feels weird because it feels like a social thing? Do you have a friend that could join you and then maybe after doing it for a while out of studio you will feel more natural doing it out on your own?
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I go to classes if and when I have time and I feel like it, but I usually do practice on my own. I find that I don't really require instruction anymore. It's nice to have every once in a while, just as a challenge and a way to spice up my practice, but I wouldn't say I need an instructor to practice. I've been practicing more or less consistently for almost 20 years now. I wouldn't presume to teach others, but I can comfortably design or improvise a flow for myself at this point.

I also use an online subscription called Bad Yogi. It's a website and an app, only like $10/month, and I really like that instructor's classes because I feel like her brand of yoga is super laid back and approachable. She offers variations for every skill level. You won't be lost or overwhelmed with her if you're a beginner or intermediate, but she'll also tell you how to challenge yourself if you're more advanced. If you have the app, I believe you can download the classes to your phone to practice offline, but I've never personally tried this, so I may be wrong. She's also on Youtube, so you can try some of her stuff for free if you'd like.
Locked Previous topicNext topic