Thoughts?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Today I took YDS to a birthday party at one of those places where they have trampolines, a ball pit, inflatables, etc. There were 30-40 kids at the party, and the girl is new to YDS’s preschool, so the parents of the birthday girl didn’t know all of the kids.

There was only one boy that was a drop off. I know him and have had him over for play dates, so I kept an eye on him.

When the party was over, I mulled about for 10 minutes waiting for someone to show up for the kid that was dropped off. When we didn’t see anyone, I took YDS to the bathroom with the drop off kid, and mom showed up at some point during that time.

I’m sure she was terrified, but her child was asking what was going to happen if no one picked him up. I told him that I was going to call his parents when we finished in the bathroom, and if I couldn’t get in touch with them I had an extra car seat in my trunk and he could come to our house until his parents could pick him up.

What, if anything, would you say to mom? To put it into perspective, the child had no idea if mom, dad, or nanny was picking him up. And there were two other birthday parties going on, so I didn’t feel like I should leave him alone.
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I wouldn't say anything. I also would never take a child in my car without his or her parent knowing.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

While I would be thinking a lot of things about mom, I wouldn’t have said anything to her.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

CandTmom wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 pm I wouldn't say anything. I also would never take a child in my car without his or her parent knowing.
I said in the OP I was going to call first.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 pm While I would be thinking a lot of things about mom, I wouldn’t have said anything to her.
But do you agree with what I did? Do I owe her an apology?
7byher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

"Sorry we were in the bathroom." How late was she?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I wouldn’t say anything to the mom.

The fault here lies with the parents of the birthday girl. They should have watched the kid or insisted that his mom stay. They invited too many kids, but being new to the school, it was an easy mistake to make.

Ultimately, I would try to look at it as a “no harm, no foul” situation.

It was nice of you to take care of the kid.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't think I would have said anything to the parent. I will say that I would not have just taken someone's child from a place without speaking to the parent. All I can think of is that parent showing up right after you left and realizing their child is nowhere to be found. I would have called the parent if I had their number and let them know I was there with the child and that I'd wait there until they showed up to get the child so they did not worry.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:06 pm
Vegaswife2011 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 pm While I would be thinking a lot of things about mom, I wouldn’t have said anything to her.
But do you agree with what I did? Do I owe her an apology?
Owe her an apology for what?
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:05 pm
CandTmom wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 pm I wouldn't say anything. I also would never take a child in my car without his or her parent knowing.
I said in the OP I was going to call first.
This is what you posted

I told him that I was going to call his parents when we finished in the bathroom, and if I couldn’t get in touch with them I had an extra car seat in my trunk and he could come to our house until his parents could pick him up.
Locked Previous topicNext topic