Would it be wrong? (kids and money)

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I have 2 kids, I owe them each about $120 in allowance, and they also have about $300 saved up between the two of them. Would it be flat out wrong to ask them to put money towards a new video game system for the whole family? We had one until recently but it needs replaced.

They're 8 & 10.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Is it something they want? If they do, maybe a compromise about everyone contributing to it.. or giving it as a joint family gift for Christmas that you pay for.. If they did not want one, I would not ask them to spend their money on it.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 1

Unread post

They do want one! I just feel guilty taking money from them, but that may because of my childhood. As a kid I had my parents "borrow" money and never give it back. So I'm just tying to get some outside opinions! Thanks!
mcginnisc wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:55 pm Is it something they want? If they do, maybe a compromise about everyone contributing to it.. or giving it as a joint family gift for Christmas that you pay for.. If they did not want one, I would not ask them to spend their money on it.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yes that would be wrong.
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I personally wouldn't but if it's something you think you need to do you can ask and see if they want to.
7byher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I would ask for a smaller portion of the funds required to buy the system.
Like 50 or so per kid depending on the cost. I wouldn't take it all from them to cover the cost. Or maybe have them buy their own games or controllers.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

How about you purchasing the system and they purchase games or extras they want? Or, like I said.. a family gift for Christmas?

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:00 pm They do want one! I just feel guilty taking money from them, but that may because of my childhood. As a kid I had my parents "borrow" money and never give it back. So I'm just tying to get some outside opinions! Thanks!
mcginnisc wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:55 pm Is it something they want? If they do, maybe a compromise about everyone contributing to it.. or giving it as a joint family gift for Christmas that you pay for.. If they did not want one, I would not ask them to spend their money on it.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 2

Unread post

It depends on what “for the whole family” means... Who plays and how much?
Deleted User 638

Unread post

That would be wrong.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Can you elaborate?
Vegaswife2011 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:03 pm Yes that would be wrong.
Locked Previous topicNext topic