Would it be wrong? (kids and money)

Anonymous 10

Unread post

Yes that's wrong
Anonymous 11

Unread post

Chipping in would be fine if that's what they want but I wouldn't make them pay for a whole system you and your husband will use as well.
Anonymous 12

Unread post

Is it something that they want to buy?
Anonymous 12

Unread post

Is it something that they want to buy?
Anonymous 13

Unread post

Just because you can't imagine them wanting something worth hundreds that they'll be buying right now doesn't mean they won't want it a few years from now. Expensive fashion. Money towards a car. Maybe a trip for school you can't afford to send them on. Why do they have allowances and savings if you're just going to tell them how to spend it (obviously if it was a punishment or something having to be replaced due to theft or damage is a different story.)

If you and DH are going to be playing it, unless they were directly responsible for the old one's demise and/or are bugging you for a new one daily, then you should just buy it (the Christmas gift idea sounds best, if you celebrate that anyway) for the family (and if you need to save for it, that's fine too. Let them see how long it takes to buy something expensive like that.)
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I would just buy it flat out. The fact that they don't have any other use for their money makes asking them to put towards the Switch seem more natural I guess.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:55 pm If they had NO money saved, what would you do about this want?

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 pm I have 2 kids, I owe them each about $120 in allowance, and they also have about $300 saved up between the two of them. Would it be flat out wrong to ask them to put money towards a new video game system for the whole family? We had one until recently but it needs replaced.

They're 8 & 10.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

The old one was stolen, but I won't blame anyone but the thief for that. We aren't struggling financially, we can afford school trips, etc., and wouldn't expect them to pay for them.

The reason they have money saved up is basically just because they have everything they want other than the Switch. I don't tell them how to spend their money though, I just thought it might make sense to have them pitch in for this. One agreed, the other didn't.
Anonymous 13 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:21 pm Just because you can't imagine them wanting something worth hundreds that they'll be buying right now doesn't mean they won't want it a few years from now. Expensive fashion. Money towards a car. Maybe a trip for school you can't afford to send them on. Why do they have allowances and savings if you're just going to tell them how to spend it (obviously if it was a punishment or something having to be replaced due to theft or damage is a different story.)

If you and DH are going to be playing it, unless they were directly responsible for the old one's demise and/or are bugging you for a new one daily, then you should just buy it (the Christmas gift idea sounds best, if you celebrate that anyway) for the family (and if you need to save for it, that's fine too. Let them see how long it takes to buy something expensive like that.)
Locked Previous topicNext topic