Would it be wrong? (kids and money)

MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:41 pm The old system was actually stolen, so they've lost all of their games too. One minute they're begging for a replacement but the next they seem to have forgotten about it. Fickle little things, lol
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:34 pm Only if the old system was broken and they were begging for a new one would I consider asking them to kick in towards the cost of a new one.

If I were going to ask the kids to kick in towards the cost of a new system, I would ask each kid to kick in $87.50 (1/4 of the cost of the new system). Since the adults are using the system, it's only fair that they also kick in towards the cost of it. But honestly, I don't even think I'd have them kick in at all.

If you celebrate Christmas, make the new system the FAMILY Christmas present. I would not be spending any amount on any toy this close to Christmas. If they want specific games for that new system, have them save their money and pay for those.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:59 pm The system & 2 controllers would be about $350. That's without any games, those run anywhere from around $20-50.

Of course it was!
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Anonymous 1

Unread post

We have savings to cover any unexpected/emergency costs. I just don't want to dip into that for a gaming system. As a side note I'd feel a lot better about taking their money for a want vs for a need.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:40 am Yes, wrong. Completely.

I have been in the place a few times where I had to borrow or take from my kids' money. It is not something you do for a game system. Never, ever.
You don't do it because it's wrong AND you don't do it because if you use it for a game system then the money won't be there next year if you need to use it for an oil bill or an insurance payment.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

:?:
MistressMonster wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:22 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:41 pm The old system was actually stolen, so they've lost all of their games too. One minute they're begging for a replacement but the next they seem to have forgotten about it. Fickle little things, lol
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:34 pm Only if the old system was broken and they were begging for a new one would I consider asking them to kick in towards the cost of a new one.

If I were going to ask the kids to kick in towards the cost of a new system, I would ask each kid to kick in $87.50 (1/4 of the cost of the new system). Since the adults are using the system, it's only fair that they also kick in towards the cost of it. But honestly, I don't even think I'd have them kick in at all.

If you celebrate Christmas, make the new system the FAMILY Christmas present. I would not be spending any amount on any toy this close to Christmas. If they want specific games for that new system, have them save their money and pay for those.

Of course it was!
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Of course it was!
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Of course it was!
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:35 am :?:

Of course it was!
You weren't getting the answers you liked. So you had to claim it was stolen.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Well, no. I was getting all sorts of answers. What answers do you think I wanted? Saying it was stolen seems like a stupid lie to me.
MistressMonster wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:37 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:35 am :?:

Of course it was!
You weren't getting the answers you liked. So you had to claim it was stolen.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:59 pm The system & 2 controllers would be about $350. That's without any games, those run anywhere from around $20-50.

Fickle little things? There's your answer. A new game system is not something they really want. You'd be buying it for others. Stop trying to rationalize it and leave your children's money alone.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

They're just as fickle with gifts that I buy exclusively for them, even things they've picked them out for themselves. Lol

My husband and I played with the old one maybe a few times a month. The last several months we hadn't touched it at all - a new one wouldn't be for us. I would choose a system geared more towards adults if it was for myself.

But I asked them and while my 8 year old was eager to pitch in for a new one, my 10 year old wasn't, so it's already decided now. I'm not having one pitch in and not the other. That wouldn't be fair since I'm sure the 10 year old would want to play too.
AnnieArk wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:44 am

Fickle little things? There's your answer. A new game system is not something they really want. You'd be buying it for others. Stop trying to rationalize it and leave your children's money alone.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

If they had NO money saved, what would you do about this want?

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 pm I have 2 kids, I owe them each about $120 in allowance, and they also have about $300 saved up between the two of them. Would it be flat out wrong to ask them to put money towards a new video game system for the whole family? We had one until recently but it needs replaced.

They're 8 & 10.
Locked Previous topicNext topic