Would it be wrong? (kids and money)

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't always trust it because sometimes it tries to make me over compensate. I'm still figuring out this whole parenting thing. I want their childhood to be better than mine was but not so far in the other direction that they're spoiled brats.
Anonymous 5 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:46 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:44 pm I'm not sure! It just feels odd to me, but I had a complicated childhood. Plenty of people are saying it's wrong but I haven't seen a reason why yet.
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 pm If it's something they want and are willing to spend money on, why would it be wrong?

That odd feeling is your conscience. Listen to it.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

You obviously already know you are going to use their money. You are debating everyone who says not to.

I can't imagine using my children's money on something for other people in the house.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Why I am getting the distinct feeling that since you can't afford to replace a system that you enjoy playing, you're trying to justify making your KIDS pay for it?

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 pm I have 2 kids, I owe them each about $120 in allowance, and they also have about $300 saved up between the two of them. Would it be flat out wrong to ask them to put money towards a new video game system for the whole family? We had one until recently but it needs replaced.

They're 8 & 10.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 pm I have 2 kids, I owe them each about $120 in allowance, and they also have about $300 saved up between the two of them. Would it be flat out wrong to ask them to put money towards a new video game system for the whole family? We had one until recently but it needs replaced.

They're 8 & 10.
I have offered to pay half for new electronics before for my kids if they can save up the other half. If it's something they really want, but isn't a need, I think it's fine to have them pay for it or at least contribute. That is why they get an allowance in the first place, IMO.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

The system & 2 controllers would be about $350. That's without any games, those run anywhere from around $20-50.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:47 pm It would be wrong.

You should be encouraging them to save their money. You shouldn't be giving them ideas of how to spend it.

You probably already mentioned this. But how much will this new system cost?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:24 pm 8 year old plays the most, then 10 year old, then me & DH
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:13 pm It depends on what “for the whole family” means... Who plays and how much?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

If the gaming system would not be considered the child's personal possession, why would the child be expected to purchase it?

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:41 pm Well it's not like they could afford one on their own, and anyway that's just not the way we do things in our family. They have plenty of their own items but something like a gaming system isn't a personal possession in my opinion. At least not at their ages.

Also it's only THEIR money because we give it to them. Lol... I'm still undecided though, going to talk it over with DH too of course but just looking for some perspective.
SolidlyAverage wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:32 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:29 pm Well I'm back & forth but I can list some reasons

All of their needs are met
They don't have to purchase their own clothes, decor, etc
They don't really have anything else to drop 100s on
They would be the primary players
They really want a new system

If THEY want it, THEY can decide to purchase it and it would be THEIRS. If it’s their money, it’s their decision and belonging. You could ask for other people to use it, but telling them that they will be buying something for the family would be wrong, yes.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I'm completely undecided. I've listed reasons I wouldn't feel it was wrong but I can't quite put my finger on what does feel wrong.
Anonymous 6 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:54 pm You obviously already know you are going to use their money. You are debating everyone who says not to.

I can't imagine using my children's money on something for other people in the house.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I don't know. Maybe because judging people you don't know makes you feel better about yourself? Maybe because there are a lot of jerks out there? Could be lots of things.

It's on my 8 year old's Christmas list. It's not like I want it as much as he does. I hadn't played it in months, he played it every chance he got.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:57 pm Why I am getting the distinct feeling that since you can't afford to replace a system that you enjoy playing, you're trying to justify making your KIDS pay for it?

They're 8 & 10.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

They aren't expected to purchase anything. I was just throwing around the idea of having them put their money towards it since it's something they both want, and there isn't really anything else they have their eye on that they aren't getting for Christmas.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:00 pm If the gaming system would not be considered the child's personal possession, why would the child be expected to purchase it?

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:41 pm Well it's not like they could afford one on their own, and anyway that's just not the way we do things in our family. They have plenty of their own items but something like a gaming system isn't a personal possession in my opinion. At least not at their ages.

Also it's only THEIR money because we give it to them. Lol... I'm still undecided though, going to talk it over with DH too of course but just looking for some perspective.
SolidlyAverage wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:32 pm

If THEY want it, THEY can decide to purchase it and it would be THEIRS. If it’s their money, it’s their decision and belonging. You could ask for other people to use it, but telling them that they will be buying something for the family would be wrong, yes.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. But the other half of my brain is fighting those thoughts.
Anonymous 7 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:57 pm

They're 8 & 10.
I have offered to pay half for new electronics before for my kids if they can save up the other half. If it's something they really want, but isn't a need, I think it's fine to have them pay for it or at least contribute. That is why they get an allowance in the first place, IMO.
Locked Previous topicNext topic