I am about ready to put a lock down on food.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Not really. But I am so tired of the kids not putting stuff on the list. I buy stuff to pack my lunch three days a week. I shop on Saturdays. This morning we are out of turkey, pickles, apple slices, and crackers. However, there are two jars full of pickle juice, the deli bag with no turkey, and an empty cracker box.

Throw the damn trash away. Add stuff to the list. It's worse when my step kiddos are here. I had to hide some stuff from them. Both of them eat a lot of food. It is mostly healthy food, but if I don't stash some stuff away, then I will have nothing. In one weekend they polished off two boxes of fruit leathers, a large jar of peanuts, and a box of granola bars. Again, I don't care if they eat when they are hungry. I feel they eat out of boredom though or because food is more restricted at their mom's house. I'm not sure.

And I know it isn't all them. I know my own kid goes through her share of snacks on the weekends.

Also, none of it would bother me if I just knew I needed to run back to the store. Buying more on Saturday has backfired before. I don't mind running into the store again.

They can write stuff on the list on the fridge, tell me or their dad, or tell Alexa.

Rant over for the morning. Off to try and pack a lunch.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yeah, I would really. I'd tell them if they can't act responsible, they lose the responsibility and will have to ask before having any snacks.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

My kids have a problem too with throwing out empty boxes / packages. They take the last pack of crackers but leave the empty box in the pantry. Why??
Anonymous 2

Unread post

This is exactly why my kids have to ask before getting a snack. One is because when they had free will we were going through way too much as they were eating out of boredom. And two that way I knew who left the empty package and could get on them about it. They don't leave empty packages anymore since I am pretty good at knowing when someone eats the last of whatever.

Sadly, I also had to tell my oldest he must ask before getting lunch meat. He started making 2-3 sandwiches at a time, or else using half a container at once for one sandwich. I took away his free will to eat it whenever and it lasts much longer now.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:00 am Not really. But I am so tired of the kids not putting stuff on the list. I buy stuff to pack my lunch three days a week. I shop on Saturdays. This morning we are out of turkey, pickles, apple slices, and crackers. However, there are two jars full of pickle juice, the deli bag with no turkey, and an empty cracker box.

Throw the damn trash away. Add stuff to the list. It's worse when my step kiddos are here. I had to hide some stuff from them. Both of them eat a lot of food. It is mostly healthy food, but if I don't stash some stuff away, then I will have nothing. In one weekend they polished off two boxes of fruit leathers, a large jar of peanuts, and a box of granola bars. Again, I don't care if they eat when they are hungry. I feel they eat out of boredom though or because food is more restricted at their mom's house. I'm not sure.

And I know it isn't all them. I know my own kid goes through her share of snacks on the weekends.

Also, none of it would bother me if I just knew I needed to run back to the store. Buying more on Saturday has backfired before. I don't mind running into the store again.

They can write stuff on the list on the fridge, tell me or their dad, or tell Alexa.

Rant over for the morning. Off to try and pack a lunch.
We teach people how to treat us
Have you implemented any kind of punishment when they do this?
Anonymous 4

Unread post

With respect to the kids not telling you when they've finished the last of a food item...Try this for a couple weeks and I'll bet they will be cured: "If it's not on the list, I'm not purchasing it." A couple weeks of being low on snacks will definitely motivate them to start putting stuff on the list.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

It would be gone until next time I felt like going shopping in my house. They’ll live without snacks and maybe learn to not inhale them. As a teen I just bought my own stuff because my mom would bitch incessantly about stuff like this, lol.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

That is why I just make the list and check the cabinet and fridge now.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

This, too. Ah! I remember when I was a teenager and it dawned on me to start doing this! And the funny thing was...the tables got turned! My MOM became the little thief in the night...stealing my Oreo cookies! :lol:
Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:18 am It would be gone until next time I felt like going shopping in my house. They’ll live without snacks and maybe learn to not inhale them. As a teen I just bought my own stuff because my mom would bitch incessantly about stuff like this, lol.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:12 am With respect to the kids not telling you when they've finished the last of a food item...Try this for a couple weeks and I'll bet they will be cured: "If it's not on the list, I'm not purchasing it." A couple weeks of being low on snacks will definitely motivate them to start putting stuff on the list.
The issue is a lot of the stuff they finish off is stuff I use for my lunches. So I have to go back to the store. This is why I hide things. If I don’t then it disappears.
Locked Previous topicNext topic