Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Talk to your landlord.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:32 pm If one is on a month-to-month lease, it should be easy to remove one person from the lease, correct? If not, please explain it to me. Not sure how this stuff works. (Hoping to leave DH and get my own place soon.)
By its very nature, a month-to-month tenancy is just that....month-to-month. Either the landlord or the tenant has the right to terminate a month-to-month tenancy by giving the other party a written notice of termination, unless the lease states otherwise. You would be smart to keep a copy of the notice for your file as proof that you gave the notice. The date that the notice is given must be no later than the last day of the month for the termination of the tenancy for the following month.

For example, if you give notice on April 29th or 30th, that will allow you to terminate the tenancy at the end of May 2016.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

If your name is on the lease, you can ask all the questions that you want of the landlord.

I would think that it might not be easy to just remove someone's name, though. I would think that the person whose name was to remain on the lease would have to RE-qualify. But I hope I'm wrong and I hope it's easy for you guys.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

In order to get your name off the lease you have to give your landlord a 30 day notice of intent.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Did you each sign individually or just one of you is on the lease?

If you're both signed on the lease individually, turn in your 30 days notice to the manager.

They may boot him if both of your incomes were used to qualify.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:54 pm Did you each sign individually or just one of you is on the lease?

If you're both signed on the lease individually, turn in your 30 days notice to the manager.

We both signed. It would be me leaving and him staying, not me kicking him out.

I realize I could ask the property manager but didn't want to talk to her until I'm actually ready to leave (just getting info for now.)

I didn't really have income when we initially got the place, but my credit score was used and is what helped us get the place.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:12 am
Valentina327 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:54 pm Did you each sign individually or just one of you is on the lease?

We both signed. It would be me leaving and him staying, not me kicking him out.

I realize I could ask the property manager but didn't want to talk to her until I'm actually ready to leave (just getting info for now.)

I didn't really have income when we initially got the place, but my credit score was used and is what helped us get the place.
Makes sense to not say anything until you're ready. They may terminate both of you then since they used your score, if his credit isn't sufficient yet to qualify on his own. Be prepared for that and the subsequent fallout from him if he doesn't want to move out of there. Good luck with everything. I hope this works out for the best for both of you.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I suppose this would be dependent on where you live. I'm pretty sure here we'd have to go to the landlord tenant board to fill out the appropriate forms and turn them in. I'd check the laws where you live and talk to the person you're leasing from. You might even be able to get your answer from a realtor.
Locked Previous topicNext topic