This dude missed a test because he got arrested

EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

But it's an "emergency" of his own making. And yes, technically, it's not the prof's job to judge his behavior. I'd eyeball the syllabi for the rules, and check with admin to see if the university as a whole has guidelines for such things. The kid is still a moron for driving drunk.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Using that logic...Suppose it had been the professor that had been arrested for drunk driving. Just as the student was immediately failed, should the professor be immediately terminated?
Ledina60 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:04 am Driving drunk is despicable , unforgivable, irresponsible and if I were the professor, I’d not only refuse to allow the jerk to retest, I’d think about failing him.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:19 am
Valentina327 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:27 am
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:39 am Would the same hold true if he was in a bad accident through no fault of his own and was in the hospital unable to contact the professor?

I firmly believe in innocent until proven guilty and while I abhor drunk drivers I wouldn’t penalize him before he’s even been to trial or plead guilty IF a person who’s in the hospital would be given special treatment.
He said he was driving drunk though. He didn't say he was falsely accused of driving drunk.

Doesn’t matter. At this stage in the game he’s innocent until proven guilty.
Being arrested is not an emergency.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:36 am Using that logic...Suppose it had been the professor that had been arrested for drunk driving. Just as the student was immediately failed, should the professor be immediately terminated?
Ledina60 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:04 am Driving drunk is despicable , unforgivable, irresponsible and if I were the professor, I’d not only refuse to allow the jerk to retest, I’d think about failing him.
Yes
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Well, he shouldn't have been driving drunk in the first place. He brought this on himself.

Deleted User 1344

Unread post

But nobody said the student was automatically failed. I only suggested that I would fail him.
As far as the professor driving drunk and being arrested? We would have to know what the school policy is concerning the behavior of their professors.
Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:36 am Using that logic...Suppose it had been the professor that had been arrested for drunk driving. Just as the student was immediately failed, should the professor be immediately terminated?
Anonymous 7

Unread post

For the whole class? What he does outside of class has nothing to do with the rest of his grades/classwork/participation for the semester.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:11 am
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:54 am
Valentina327 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:47 am

If there's a confession, no one needs to prove anyone guilty. He's already admitted it.

Not in my eyes. At this moment he hasn’t been sentenced, hasn’t had his day in court so he’s still innocent until proven guilty.
But that's not how the court system works. If someone pleads guilty to something, they will have no "day in court" to have to prove them guilty. There's no trial put on if someone confesses. They go right to sentencing. That would be a huge waste of time and money to go through a trial for everyone who pleads guilty.

Okay but this just happened. He hasn’t been sentenced yet. At this stage he’s still a free man on bail.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:22 am
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:19 am
Valentina327 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:27 am

He said he was driving drunk though. He didn't say he was falsely accused of driving drunk.

Doesn’t matter. At this stage in the game he’s innocent until proven guilty.
Being arrested is not an emergency.
And I’d say it is indeed an emergency
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Well, dang! I'm glad you're not my employer! LOL Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:24 am
Yes
Locked Previous topicNext topic