This dude missed a test because he got arrested

Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:21 pm I'm a professor, I'd have to see the exact policy in the syllabi. But I would likely let him re-take the exam:

1) it is not my moral or ethical responsibility to punish him for his illegal activity, it sounds as though the legal system is doing this, so his DWI, plays no role in my decision.
2) there was truly no way he could have notified me; it was out of his control.
3) he's obviously high risk for attrition based on his high risk behaviors, so I actually would want to encourage him to stay in school and continue his education, that bodes better for society and really my goal for all students. I want them to succeed -- learn critical thinking and make better lives for themselves AND all of society.
I agree with #3
Good point
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:28 pm That would fall under emergency. The Professor may not like it but it is a valid reason and excuse and therefore I believe if he takes it further he will be able to retake the test.
At my university it does not fall under an emergency.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:30 pm
Fullxbusymom wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:28 pm That would fall under emergency. The Professor may not like it but it is a valid reason and excuse and therefore I believe if he takes it further he will be able to retake the test.
At my university it does not fall under an emergency.
Yah I would not call “ drunk driving and a subsequent arrest” an emergency. I call it stupidity.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

He has a legitimate reason for being unable to notify the teacher. The teacher doesn't have to like his reason but it is a good enough reason. The teacher cannot control or dictate what the students are allowed to do when not in his classroom.

if the student would have been in an accident and landed in the hospital would the teacher not accept that as well.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

iamanon wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:45 pm He has a legitimate reason for being unable to notify the teacher. The teacher doesn't have to like his reason but it is a good enough reason. The teacher cannot control or dictate what the students are allowed to do when not in his classroom.

if the student would have been in an accident and landed in the hospital would the teacher not accept that as well.
Being in an accident and being hospitalized would be a true emergency and I’m sure the professor would accept it.
Drunk driving and an arrrest ? Just stupidity. I hope he learns from that
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:06 pm
iamanon wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:45 pm He has a legitimate reason for being unable to notify the teacher. The teacher doesn't have to like his reason but it is a good enough reason. The teacher cannot control or dictate what the students are allowed to do when not in his classroom.

Being in an accident and being hospitalized would be a true emergency and I’m sure the professor would accept it.
Did i miss the part where the teacher stipulated he/she would have to okay the reason?
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Did i miss the part where the teacher stipulated he/she would have to okay the reason?
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Deleted User 1344

Unread post

iamanon wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:20 pm

The professor said the guy couldn’t make up the test and said his drunk driving arrest was not an acceptable excuse, not an emergency. Didn’t you read it?
It appears that It’s his decision and he’s right.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Team Professor, all the way. You don't get to act like a idiot, then get special consideration.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Locked Previous topicNext topic