This dude missed a test because he got arrested

Anonymous 1

Unread post

We had a test on Tuesday. The syllabus says you must notify the professor before you miss the test in order to take a make up exam. This guy didn’t show and didn’t call. Today he comes in asking for a make up exam because he was arrested the night before because he was driving drunk. The professor told him no. Especially with his reason. Now the guy is super pissed because you can’t pass the class with a zero on the test.

He was telling someone he was arrested at 2 Am and couldn’t notify the professor so he thinks he should be exempt from the rule.

I think the professor is right.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

He didnt follow the rules. He deserves the 0
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Would the same hold true if he was in a bad accident through no fault of his own and was in the hospital unable to contact the professor?

I firmly believe in innocent until proven guilty and while I abhor drunk drivers I wouldn’t penalize him before he’s even been to trial or plead guilty IF a person who’s in the hospital would be given special treatment.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:39 am Would the same hold true if he was in a bad accident through no fault of his own and was in the hospital unable to contact the professor?

I firmly believe in innocent until proven guilty and while I abhor drunk drivers I wouldn’t penalize him before he’s even been to trial or plead guilty IF a person who’s in the hospital would be given special treatment.
That would fall under an emergency. You can bring proof of that. I’m sure it would be different.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:39 am Would the same hold true if he was in a bad accident through no fault of his own and was in the hospital unable to contact the professor?

Proof of emergency is usually the only exception to the rules
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

He wasn’t offered his one phone call?!?
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:22 am We had a test on Tuesday. The syllabus says you must notify the professor before you miss the test in order to take a make up exam. This guy didn’t show and didn’t call. Today he comes in asking for a make up exam because he was arrested the night before because he was driving drunk. The professor told him no. Especially with his reason. Now the guy is super pissed because you can’t pass the class with a zero on the test.

He was telling someone he was arrested at 2 Am and couldn’t notify the professor so he thinks he should be exempt from the rule.

I think the professor is right.
I think the professor is right too.
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:48 am

That would fall under an emergency. You can bring proof of that. I’m sure it would be different.

Granted I’ve never been arrested but I’d consider that an emergency.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I'm a professor, I'd have to see the exact policy in the syllabi. But I would likely let him re-take the exam:

1) it is not my moral or ethical responsibility to punish him for his illegal activity, it sounds as though the legal system is doing this, so his DWI, plays no role in my decision.
2) there was truly no way he could have notified me; it was out of his control.
3) he's obviously high risk for attrition based on his high risk behaviors, so I actually would want to encourage him to stay in school and continue his education, that bodes better for society and really my goal for all students. I want them to succeed -- learn critical thinking and make better lives for themselves AND all of society.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

That would fall under emergency. The Professor may not like it but it is a valid reason and excuse and therefore I believe if he takes it further he will be able to retake the test.
Locked Previous topicNext topic