Why are so many millennials lazy and entitled?

Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:45 pm
Smarties wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 pm
QuantumNursing wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Actually it is. The number of college graduates living at home is the highest its ever been in a century. Its like 30 percent mostly due to huge education debt,exhorbiant rents,poor wages and shitty healthcare system. Today's graduates are graduating into a freaking mess. We had it much,much better. Ifts no wonder so many people are putting off having children sooo much later in life and flat out refusing to have children. Most Americans have been living paycheck to paycheck for far too long and are still.doing. Thats not going to change for the considerable future.

The number of graduates living at home is on trend with the overall rise in the number of adult children living at home. That doesn't mean that most adult children living with their parents are college graduates.

I'm still taking classes. I'm very familiar with tuition costs.
So you mean its.in trend with ALL milienials instead of the claim.stated upthread that its not the college graduates living at home....a

Yes, its a trend among all millennials. But I don't believe its the college graduates who are responsible for most of the trend.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

As usual, I agree with everything you said.

My parents didn't pay for my education either. I started out going to a state school and later in life graduated from a private school. I was lucky. My employer paid for 90% of my schooling.

I think if parents can pay for their kids' schooling that's great. I also think the kids should pay a portion of their own schooling, too. I think these days kids get entirely too much handed to them. Parents are paying for their kids' tuition, their cars, their insurance, their cell phones, their weddings, etc., I just can't help but to wonder if it's not all this "giving to the kids" that has them incapable of making it on their own.

Smarties wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:46 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:17 pm I've definitely seen that.

I also know one kid who, after graduating from college, is still at home at age 26. But he's not at all in debt because his parents paid the bill. He "just doesn't know what he wants to do with his life." :? Needs a bit of a kick in the arse. :lol:

ETA: That "age 26" was a typo. Meant to type "age 28."
Smarties wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Its not the college graduates that are still living at home as adults that I know either. And that includes my own siblings. The one who didn't go to college is the one who struggled to be on her own.

His parents need to do the kicking. Dang.

I paid for my own schooling. At private school tuition rates, so it was more expensive even back then than state school tuition rates are around here now. I'm not saying everyone can tough it out like me or that parents helping kids pay for college is bad, but very few degrees need to be costing more than 100k to get.

I also don't think all millennials are lazy.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:56 pm As usual, I agree with everything you said.

My parents didn't pay for my education either. I started out going to a state school and later in life graduated from a private school. I was lucky. My employer paid for 90% of my schooling.

I think if parents can pay for their kids' schooling that's great. I also think the kids should pay a portion of their own schooling, too. I think these days kids get entirely too much handed to them. Parents are paying for their kids' tuition, their cars, their insurance, their cell phones, their weddings, etc., I just can't help but to wonder if it's not all this "giving to the kids" that has them incapable of making it on their own.

Smarties wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:46 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:17 pm I've definitely seen that.

I also know one kid who, after graduating from college, is still at home at age 26. But he's not at all in debt because his parents paid the bill. He "just doesn't know what he wants to do with his life." :? Needs a bit of a kick in the arse. :lol:

ETA: That "age 26" was a typo. Meant to type "age 28."

His parents need to do the kicking. Dang.

I paid for my own schooling. At private school tuition rates, so it was more expensive even back then than state school tuition rates are around here now. I'm not saying everyone can tough it out like me or that parents helping kids pay for college is bad, but very few degrees need to be costing more than 100k to get.

I also don't think all millennials are lazy.

Yeah... mine aren't getting all of their college paid for by me! I don't think we're doing kids any favors by giving them everything either.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It isn't the age of the hires that is the issue. The issue is the actual people they're hiring with no checking of references and doing more thorough interviews. Your HR staff should be looked into it seems.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Diamepphyre wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 pm Well what do you expect from a generation that was brought up to believe that they could never be wrong and that everyone else should just bend over backwards to make their lives easy and give them everything they want without any actual effort on their part?
I don’t know anyone like that.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CandTmom wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:28 pm Learned it from generation x
Thank you!
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I think many of the behaviors that you mentioned in this post are exhibited by people of all ages.

It's not necessarily millennials. It's a whole new world these days...LOTS of people thinking that they can do whatever they want and whenever they want to do it.
Oliviasmom72 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:22 pm We are growing like crazy at work and have been on A Massive hiring spree. I get that I am at the age where I’m a lot older than my coworkers but they are hiring kids.

They won’t hire my friend who already works there in another dept but they hire these brats off the street.

We had 4 new people start Monday including a friend of mine ( older guy). One guy was cocky, in his 20’s, fit, excercises at his cubicle. He was being trained, listening on calls, not taking any notes. He calls in yesterday. Red flag. Quit today. Anyone who calls in on day 4 of a new job should be fired.

The guy that sits next to me is 22, I never hear him on the phone, and he’s already been talked too one about something not sure what. He should be asking me a ton of questions and needing help. Yesterday as I was pulling into work I saw him pulling out. He clocks in then leaves to get breakfast. Not allowed. You may get away with that if you’ve been there 5 years but not 3 weeks. He also is playing chess on his computer with a couple other new hires. Really ? I suspect he’s on his way out too. According to his manager his daily activity and call logs are low. Gee ya think ?

Waiting for a couple more of these young grease balls that they hired to drop off so maybe they will rethink the age of these new hires.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Honestly it was the way they were raised. They were the original group raised by parents who wanted them to be treated equally-sucked st baseball? You still get a prize! Got a C on a test, well, let’s grade on the curve! If you don’t want to say please or thank you, don’t, it’s OK!

It’s sad.

Oliviasmom72 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:22 pm We are growing like crazy at work and have been on A Massive hiring spree. I get that I am at the age where I’m a lot older than my coworkers but they are hiring kids.

They won’t hire my friend who already works there in another dept but they hire these brats off the street.

We had 4 new people start Monday including a friend of mine ( older guy). One guy was cocky, in his 20’s, fit, excercises at his cubicle. He was being trained, listening on calls, not taking any notes. He calls in yesterday. Red flag. Quit today. Anyone who calls in on day 4 of a new job should be fired.

The guy that sits next to me is 22, I never hear him on the phone, and he’s already been talked too one about something not sure what. He should be asking me a ton of questions and needing help. Yesterday as I was pulling into work I saw him pulling out. He clocks in then leaves to get breakfast. Not allowed. You may get away with that if you’ve been there 5 years but not 3 weeks. He also is playing chess on his computer with a couple other new hires. Really ? I suspect he’s on his way out too. According to his manager his daily activity and call logs are low. Gee ya think ?

Waiting for a couple more of these young grease balls that they hired to drop off so maybe they will rethink the age of these new hires.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Diamepphyre wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 pm Well what do you expect from a generation that was brought up to believe that they could never be wrong and that everyone else should just bend over backwards to make their lives easy and give them everything they want without any actual effort on their part?
Which generation are you?
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

There's lazy and entitled people in every generation, but they're almost never the majority. From my personal experience in managing workers, Millennials tend to be the hardest workers and highest performers in most workplaces, given a good working environment. That is the part that makes it or breaks it. Millennials demand a different sort of work environment than what used to be the norm. I've been thinking about this lately. What I've been able to conclude, mainly from my own experience, is the following.

It seems to me like we are more transient and more willing to job and career hop than Gen X. I've noticed that it used to be a source of immense pride for Gen X and especially Boomers to be able to say that they've worked in a certain field or stayed with their company for 10, 20, 30 years. I honestly don't know any Millennial that would pride themself in that. In most cases it's the opposite. A lot of us have excellent work ethic and performance records, but very little to no employee loyalty. If a job isn't working out for us, we tend to walk. If there aren't any appealing jobs in our immediate field of expertise, we look at other fields. Hell, even if there is nothing wrong with the job we have but we find better elsewhere, odds are we'll jump. This effect tends to multiply if we're talking nonskilled or entry level work, which sounds like what the OP is talking about.

We do that because we can. As a whole, Millennial professionals are more educated than any generation before us. We're also more flexible, and a lot less dead-set on having a traditional career or only working in the field we're educated for. That gives us a certain degree of freedom and choice. We've learned to ask the question "What's in this for me?" If the answer begins and ends at "a paycheck", well, we can find that anywhere. We're not inclined to put up with a job that doesn't suit us, or stick around in a negative working environment, because there's almost always something better out there.
Locked Previous topicNext topic