QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:20 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:06 am
Anonymous 7 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 am

People who say that are naive.

That random piece of paper affords you a lot legally.

Hell thanks to that random piece of paper I can collect my husband’s social security even though he passed away.
I have been married for a long time. It's still just a random piece of paper. It doesn't make me naive to know that it isn't important to a lot of people.
And I don’t believe that you’re married. Otherwise you’d know that there’s a hell of a lot that random piece of paper gives you.
Im.married and even I do t think that piece of paper is worth that much.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Off Topic: The subject of marriage came up a while ago while driving in the car with the hubs and the kid. The kid's pearl of wisdom. Marriage should come with an expiration date. So if couples legally want out, they just have to wait for the marriage to expire otherwise, fill out some paperwork to continue the marriage.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If they lied to everyone and presented it as an actual wedding with gifts and all, I'd think it was a ridiculous and immature thing to do, complete with a gift grab. Lying is not cute or respectable.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

People can do what they want to do but call it what it is. If they are having a ceremony and/or reception to celebrate their committment to each other, then call it that. "Come help us celebrate our life committment to each other..." or something like that. Don't call it a wedding if you aren't actually getting married. The only wrong thing is inviting people to something under false pretense.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

I don’t care if someone wants to have a fake wedding, but I would be upset that they lied about it.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Seems kind of dishonest.
I don't really care but dishonest. They lied to all their friends and family..seems wrong
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'm also in the piece of paper camp. You can change your name without being married, or keep your maiden name after marriage. I wouldn't have even asked.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:41 am
Anonymous 7 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:20 am

And I don’t believe that you’re married. Otherwise you’d know that there’s a hell of a lot that random piece of paper gives you.
We just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary this summer.

You can have your opinion but that doesn't mean I'm not married.

And I could lie and tell you I’m still married and we’ve been married 50. Doesn’t mean I’m telling the truth just like I don’t believe a word you’re saying.
You are an idiot. Not everyone has the same values you do
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My brother is disabled. When he got married it screwed him. He was financially punished for getting married.
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:21 pm
Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:04 am Not a big deal in the grand scheme of wanting to keep the SSI, especially if the partner's income cannot support the two of them and she really cannot work, but I do take issue with faking it with the family - especially if they gave large monetary gifts and other large gifts as well as contributed to the "wedding" under the premise it was a legal marriage.
That's what bothered some. It felt like a lie. An expensive lie to some. I only purchased a gift, I was pregnant at the time and didn't want to commit to being a bridesmaid while I was. However, a lot of mutual friends were in the wedding one way or another.
That's what makes this so wrong. Being deceitful where others spend a large amount of money on something they may not have otherwise.
Like another poster said, if it's not a big deal and a "paper" then don't lie about it.
i want candy!
Locked Previous topicNext topic