why would they want this. Medical question ahead.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

2 days ago my mom fell and needed 6 stiches above her eye, is bruised and sore, and had 2 small brain bleeds. One that has gone away and the other we will see when they take the scan tomorrow. She is currently in a nero step down unit and doing well. In January she had a mini stroke with a small brain bleed but she was sent home the next day after it stopped and she had to go to PT/OT for a few weeks until they realeased here back to work. They are now saying they want her to go to a rehab center so she can get the pt/ot she needs. My mom works at a nursing home and they already confirmed they will do any pt/ot that she needs. My dad has said that he can take her to any appointments that she needs to go to.

She's better then the last time they realeased her so I don't get why they would want her in a short term rehab place instead of home. She can walk fine, passes all the cognitive tests with flying colors etc. She fractured her hip a few years ago and was laid up for weeks and that was never suggested then. Can anyone in the medical community explain why they would want this. We have all asked and they aren't really giving us or my mom many answers. My sister thinks we should go to her hospital social worker tomorrow when she's in to see if we can get more answers.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I am not sure why you are against her going to a short term rehab. She probably needed it the first time. She clearly isnt doing that well if she is falling and having brain bleeds
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Why would they want her in a short term rehab facility instead of on her own with family watching her? Because this is her second fall with brain bleeds in less than a year and they want to be able to monitor her progress as well as watch for signs of any other conditions that might otherwise be overlooked or ignored.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:21 pm I am not sure why you are against her going to a short term rehab. She probably needed it the first time. She clearly isnt doing that well if she is falling and having brain bleeds
Because we think she would be better off at home. Her first brain bleed was caused from a mini stroke due to untreated high blood pressure which is not being treated. She fell this time because she wasn't looking where she was going and missed a step. She fell face first into a deck and was unconscious for 2-3 mins. She's not had any other troubles besides this.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Falls in elder persons have high rates of recurrence & are associated with decline in functional status, increased likelihood of nursing home placement, and greater use of medical services. This in combination with a history of re-admission in the past year, leads to increased recommendation of a in-patient care facility for rehab.

Another possible factor, is the PT/OT that actually evaluated her. They are human, so there is bias in their evaluation. Perhaps previous PT recommended out-patient care, but this time, PT/OT providers now recommend in-patient. It truly is their evaluations & recommendations, which social services & provider will rely on. If the PT writes "would benefit from in-patient" stay, then that is legally what a provider would recommend. *eta, to fail to do so, would increase risk for litigation, should you take your mom home and she falls again!

If you feel that is not what it is her best option, then I would express the rationale and alternative plan, in a pleasant, kind manner. No one can make a patient go to rehab.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:31 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:21 pm I am not sure why you are against her going to a short term rehab. She probably needed it the first time. She clearly isnt doing that well if she is falling and having brain bleeds
Because we think she would be better off at home. Her first brain bleed was caused from a mini stroke due to untreated high blood pressure which is not being treated. She fell this time because she wasn't looking where she was going and missed a step. She fell face first into a deck and was unconscious for 2-3 mins. She's not had any other troubles besides this.
She will benefit from rehab. Instead of pretending like you know better than train professional shut the f**k up and get your mom the help she needs and deserves
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:31 pm
It sounds like you're making excuses and don't really understand the gravity of her situation.
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

She’s a fall risk, and they probably don’t want her home for long periods of time alone.
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

She’s a fall risk, they don’t want her alone for long periods of time.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Even the most minor falls can be fatal. Rehab will teach her to recognize those hazzards and evaluate to see of she can remain at home and what kind of assistance she will need
Locked Previous topicNext topic