SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:31 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:27 pm
Conweis wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:03 pm

It was in response to this comment:
Lena never misses a chance to bring up her Japanese ancestry but apparently it's racist for anyone else to use that terminology to describe someone.

It was a humorous story I posted on DRIH years ago. It was one of my SO's favorite memories to tell people.

You didn't do anything wrong. Please don't feel you have to explain yourself.
I did not say she did anything wrong. She is free not to answer if she doesn’t want too.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:11 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:29 am

What does this story have to do with you brining up Asian all the time but calling other people racist for doing it?

I don’t know you enough to say it’s true, but this is an odd response to that comment.
Lena never misses a chance to bring up her Japanese ancestry but apparently it's racist for anyone else to use that terminology to describe someone.

It was a humorous story I posted on DRIH years ago. It was one of my SO's favorite memories to tell people.
That’s not what I asked. What does this have to do with you bringing up Asians whenever you get a chance and call other people racist when they do it?

It kinda confirms what the poster is saying as she didn’t ask for your SO’s favorite story.
The comment said that about me, not about the OP. I am biracial, Japanese heritage is a part of my life, so sometimes it comes up when I am posting on here. I don't bring it up when it is not relevant and I do not post about it constantly. For example, if someone asks what our kids ate for lunch today, when sharing what my kids ate it may contain Japanese food.
I do not find racism in everything. If race is already included in a post, I might talk about race. In this case, I never used the word "racist" , I simply asked why his race was relevant to the story, as race isn't a very good way to describe someone since members of the same race will look drastically different, so it seemed odd to solely mention race.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:02 pm

That’s not what I asked. What does this have to do with you bringing up Asians whenever you get a chance and call other people racist when they do it?

It kinda confirms what the poster is saying as she didn’t ask for your SO’s favorite story.
The comment said that about me, not about the OP. I am biracial, Japanese heritage is a part of my life, so sometimes it comes up when I am posting on here. I don't bring it up when it is not relevant and I do not post about it constantly. For example, if someone asks what our kids ate for lunch today, when sharing what my kids ate it may contain Japanese food.
I do not find racism in everything. If race is already included in a post, I might talk about race. In this case, I never used the word "racist" , I simply asked why his race was relevant to the story, as race isn't a very good way to describe someone since members of the same race will look drastically different, so it seemed odd to solely mention race.
Ohhh I am sorry! I thought it was towards the OP. I’m half Japanese too. So, I get where your coming from and why you asked what race had to do with it because I noticed it too. I also knew the whole “Asian men are short with small dicks” was coming too, which is why I didn’t see a need to mention it. Just didn’t say anything until the convo progressed.

I’ve seen you comment often and didn’t know you were Japanese to agree that you drag it into the ground.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Is he mentally challenged?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:29 am
Conweis wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:41 am

Wait, my SO was Japanese/German. He didn't really show any Asian traits but our 2ND son did when he was little. I told the story on CM before but when we took the kids to a Japanese/Korean restaurant the whole staff came out to look and touch our 2ND son's hair. He loved the attention. It isn't like we came in there and hoisted our kid above our shoulders and announced "Look at our multiracial child!" The waitress who was serving us, kept looking at his face and said, "He looks Asian " When SO explained his heritage, she brought the rest of the restaurant staff to come look at him. They were fascinated that he looked like a blond hair, blue eye Asian kid.
What does this story have to do with you brining up Asian all the time but calling other people racist for doing it?

I don’t know you enough to say it’s true, but this is an odd response to that comment.

I stand by what I said about your comments being odd and passive aggressive but I still apologize for misunderstanding the initial comment. I thought it was directed at you, not Olioxen as I agreed with her asking why you felt the need to go there.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:19 pm

Ohhh I am sorry! I thought it was towards the OP. I’m half Japanese too. So, I get where your coming from and why you asked what race had to do with it because I noticed it too. I also knew the whole “Asian men are short with small dicks” was coming too, which is why I didn’t see a need to mention it. Just didn’t say anything until the convo progressed.

I’ve seen you comment often and didn’t know you were Japanese to agree that you drag it into the ground.
I don't think it is easy for non-minorities to see the harm in things like this when they don't have to deal with microaggressions on a daily basis, which is why I didnt call her a racist, all I was intending to do was to say that even if she didn't consciously mean anything by it, including his race in a story like this when it is not relevant can further fuel others stereotypes and can open the door to other racist ideas, so if that is not her intent, then it's best to leave that out.
This site can just not handle discussions of race, hence while I can't even ever post about topics relative to my heritage or speak about it because I am proud of who I am without being told that it's not welcome and that I bring it up always when it's probably a part of maybe 5 percent of my posts.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:34 pm

I don't think it is easy for non-minorities to see the harm in things like this when they don't have to deal with microaggressions on a daily basis, which is why I didnt call her a racist, all I was intending to do was to say that even if she didn't consciously mean anything by it, including his race in a story like this when it is not relevant can further fuel others stereotypes and can open the door to other racist ideas, so if that is not her intent, then it's best to leave that out.
This site can just not handle discussions of race, hence while I can't even ever post about topics relative to my heritage or speak about it because I am proud of who I am without being told that it's not welcome and that I bring it up always when it's probably a part of maybe 5 percent of my posts.
Poor little Lena always the victim. At least you found one sucker to whine to. Op didn't do anything wrong by saying he was Asian. Get over it.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I am not calling her racist either, I tend not to say that unless I have seen a pattern but if she has been around Asians, I don't see why this would be a difficult concept to grasp.

Honestly, if people don't want to bring up a question about race, then don't bring it up. It's not that complicated.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:59 pm

Poor little Lena always the victim. At least you found one sucker to whine to. Op didn't do anything wrong by saying he was Asian. Get over it.
This really isn't something you have to go anon to say. If you think I am a "sucker", its fine to say it under your screen name. I won't care either way. :)
Anonymous 8

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:37 pm
Anonymous 8 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:59 pm

This really isn't something you have to go anon to say. If you think I am a "sucker", its fine to say it under your screen name. I won't care either way. :)
I like going anon so I guess you can get over it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic