Hearing aids in a classroom

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:55 am So he hates attention so you made sure to get ahold of the teacher so he could gets lots of extra attention. I'll say an extra prayer for this teacher, she's not going to have a good year.
Why would a parent not tell the teacher? I'd think that would be pretty important for a teacher to know. She has to keep an eye on him, make sure he's picking everything up, and look for signs that he might be falling behind due to missing things. It would be a disservice to not notify a teacher about something that can have such a huge impact on learning.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:29 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:25 pm
Vegaswife2011 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:20 pm I don’t understand why the hearing aid needs to be mentioned at all.
Sounds to me like op told the teacher because it's the reason for the IEP (hearing disability) and the teacher is running with it. I never had a teacher discuss my son's speech apraxia in class but then again it's mild and he's easily understood. In scouts we've done classes on disabilities for badges but they're very general. Blindness, deafness, etc.
Like MrsDavid said, if his hearing aids work why does he need an IEP?
People are really this ignorant? Working hearing aids don't fix everything
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:03 am
QuantumNursing wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:44 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:53 am

To be fair the mother highlighted it first when she emailed the teacher.
To be fair since you cant read the teacher emaile Oli. Oli didnt email her. Its the first sentence in the second paragraph....
They would have had to note it first so that the teacher knew to email them in the first place, no?
The IEP would have been given to the teacher as soon as her Olji's kid was placed in her classroom so she can not break.federal law.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:20 am

Sounds to me like op told the teacher because it's the reason for the IEP (hearing disability) and the teacher is running with it. I never had a teacher discuss my son's speech apraxia in class but then again it's mild and he's easily understood. In scouts we've done classes on disabilities for badges but they're very general. Blindness, deafness, etc.
If you have no frame of reference with the hard of hearing, you'd probably not realize that. I can see where someone might not know limitations without having first hand experience. We all can't know everything.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:20 am

I don't find it that unusual that some people might assume an IEP is not needed. I have 2 children with permanent limitation of peripheral vision. One child does not have it mentioned in an IEP. It's something, that I am confident he can navigate around this "limitation" himself.

So I understand both sides, you very well might need an IEP, but not always.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:09 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:55 am So he hates attention so you made sure to get ahold of the teacher so he could gets lots of extra attention. I'll say an extra prayer for this teacher, she's not going to have a good year.
The kid has an IEP the teacher needed to be aware of it. As far as the teacher That doesnt mean the teacher needs to make a spectacle of the child
She isn't making him a spectacle at all. She was simply trying to educate the kids about it so they were able to understand why. They did the same with my son as he is legally blind in his right eye. They explained what the patch that he has to wear did and why he has to wear one. They are trying to make it so it isn't odd or different. Kids are curious and they are trying to answer questions they may have or clear up an misconceptions that may occur.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:03 pm
The kid has an IEP the teacher needed to be aware of it. As far as the teacher That doesnt mean the teacher needs to make a spectacle of the child
She isn't making him a spectacle at all. She was simply trying to educate the kids about it so they were able to understand why. They did the same with my son as he is legally blind in his right eye. They explained what the patch that he has to wear did and why he has to wear one. They are trying to make it so it isn't odd or different. Kids are curious and they are trying to answer questions they may have or clear up an misconceptions that may occur.
Not every person ior child is comfortable with standing up and talking about their disabilities. Ishe can do all of that without singling out one of the students. That type of behavior can and will cause bullying.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 pm
Fullxbusymom wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:03 pm

Not every person ior child is comfortable with standing up and talking about their disabilities. Ishe can do all of that without singling out one of the students. That type of behavior can and will cause bullying.
I know they did this when my son wasn't in the classroom. My son is the same as hers and hates talking about it. Hence why the teacher did this to try and eliminate some of those questions she knew would occur. They also knew how he hated discussing it so hence why they did it when he was out of the classroom and I suggested to OP that they maybe try this approach. The teacher has the best intentions at heart.
Locked Previous topicNext topic