Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:26 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:53 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:44 am This seems so weird to me. My DS has learning disabilities, fine motor issues & a permanent ocular strabismus. I could not imagine a teacher highlighting his differences. So I find it difficult to imagine.
To be fair the mother highlighted it first when she emailed the teacher.
Lena enjoys drawing attention to herself and her fake family so she can complain about discrimination.
Maybe. I believe I usually disagree with her but today she seemed like she had a legitimate question that had nothing to do with discrimination. But whatever this all is truly annoying. In fact cleaning my house seems less annoying and that's sad.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:20 pm I don’t understand why the hearing aid needs to be mentioned at all.
It doesn't. If one of his classmates asks him about it, he can explain that it's something that helps him to hear better. No need to make a big deal about it.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:20 pm I don’t understand why the hearing aid needs to be mentioned at all.
Exactly this.

Some kids will ask questions about it, and he can answer them. Then those same kids will ask questions about someone's shirt or new shoes.

I don't understand why some adults have to make a big deal about things.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:44 am This seems so weird to me. My DS has learning disabilities, fine motor issues & a permanent ocular strabismus. I could not imagine a teacher highlighting his differences. So I find it difficult to imagine.
To be fair since you cant read the teacher emaile Oli. Oli didnt email her. Its the first sentence in the second paragraph....
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MeAF wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:34 pm
It doesn't. If one of his classmates asks him about it, he can explain that it's something that helps him to hear better. No need to make a big deal about it.
Exactly.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:56 pm To answer your question at the end, I would be fine with whatever you and the teacher think is appropriate.

But here's a compromise I thought of. How about the teacher still focus the lesson on hearing aids and hearing loss, since there is a kid in the class with it, but as part of the lesson the teacher tells them something like "Let's not bombard Johnny with a ton of questions, at the end of the lesson if you have questions ask me." And then she can do a Q & A session at the end where students raise their hand and ask their questions to the teacher and she answers them. This way the students get their questions answered but it doesn't have to put the spotlight on your son.

The other thought is to try to convince your son "hey, if you just muster through this this one day then their curiosity will be satisfied and you won't have to field questions day after day after day".

My oldest was the focus of a very similar lesson. He first got glasses in Kindergarten and he was the first in his class to get them. All the kids had questions so the teacher did a lesson and the kids got to ask their questions. They asked my son directly but my son didn't mind answering. But none of it was cruel or anything. It was all honest kid questions such as "Are you blind without them?" to which my son just explained that no, he's not blind, stuff just looks a bit fuzzy. It was all very positive for my son and the rest of the class.
Awwwww...I was just thinking how cute that must have been, little guy in his glasses and all the kids asking questions.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:44 pm
To be fair since you cant read the teacher emaile Oli. Oli didnt email her. Its the first sentence in the second paragraph....
They would have had to note it first so that the teacher knew to email them in the first place, no?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:03 am

They would have had to note it first so that the teacher knew to email them in the first place, no?
He has an IEP for his hearing. Something the teacher needs to know, or he can not get the accommodations he needs.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:33 am
Anonymous 6 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:19 am I'm not sure why it's a discussion. It's the teachers classroom & since she runs the classroom, she can deal with it as she sees fit.
He has a good teacher who doesn't run her classroom that way.
Her heart's in the right place, but that would be a lot of attention on the poor kid. He probably would rather just forget the thing exists. Good luck to them with the new school.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:07 am
Valentina327 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:03 am

He has an IEP for his hearing. Something the teacher needs to know, or he can not get the accommodations he needs.
I figured there was something like that. That's why I was bringing up that you would have had to initiate the conversion in the first place. It's important that the teacher knows.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Locked Previous topicNext topic