Hearing aids in a classroom

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:55 am So he hates attention so you made sure to get ahold of the teacher so he could gets lots of extra attention. I'll say an extra prayer for this teacher, she's not going to have a good year.
He has an IEP because he needs accommodations for his hearing loss. The teacher needed to know that. It has nothing to do with "extra attention" and the accommodations he needs are things that other students will likely not notice, but they are things the teacher needs to be aware of. The whole point of these accommodations are so a big deal does not need to be made out of this, so he can get through the school day easily and not have to constantly voice that he didn't hear something. The teacher won't have a good year because she has a student who simply needs to be sat on the right side of the classroom?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Shaken1976 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:32 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:29 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:18 pm

I don't know how old your kid is but he should be able to handle things on his own with the hearing aid. Teach him. Most kids are aware of what a hearing aid is so I can't imagine a big fuss comes when he wears it. Kid asks 'what's that' You son says 'a hearing aid to help me hear better.' Kids move on to color. Teach him how to change the battery( age appropriate of course). As far as the IEP we never found it necessary. If his hearing aid works why does he need a special assembly seat? As far as class when the teacher saw my son she moved him up front on her own accord. I mean if you want to make a big deal about it then do so. I'm just saying it is possible to go from grades K-12 without a class question and answer event, special teacher meetings, IEPs, etc.
It is not a "big deal" to just make the teacher aware of his needs. The teacher meeting has nothing to do with the hearing aid. Just because you didn't find an IEP necessary doesn't mean my child doesn't need it. I would think that you would know that not every hard of hearing person is exactly the same and has the same exact needs. If he doesn't sit toward the front on the right side of the auditorium, it is hard for him to hear. His hearing aid works, but it can act up if there is interference, lots of noise, etc. It isn't an automatic cure.
I’m surprised they did an IEP. If hearing is the only issue then a 504 is more appropriate. An IEP should deal more with learning and behavioral issues. Not necessarily a kid who wears a hearing aid. I’m guessing he can do all the same work and doesn’t need accommodations on work. Just needs to make sure he can make out what is being said.
You can use either for hearing loss. His old school wanted to do an IEP, so that is what we went with.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:19 am I'm not sure why it's a discussion. It's the teachers classroom & since she runs the classroom, she can deal with it as she sees fit.
He has a good teacher who doesn't run her classroom that way.
luvthagirl
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 pm So let me see if I got this straight. Mother gets her hearing impaired child an IEP that he's completely entitled to under disability education law, and she's "seeking attention" because he uses hearing aids. But if she didn't get an IEP and he struggled in the classroom I bet you'd all be saying well why don't you advocate for your child. You bitches truly be crazy.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

luvthagirl wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:39 am
Pjmm wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 pm So let me see if I got this straight. Mother gets her hearing impaired child an IEP that he's completely entitled to under disability education law, and she's "seeking attention" because he uses hearing aids. But if she didn't get an IEP and he struggled in the classroom I bet you'd all be saying well why don't you advocate for your child. You bitches truly be crazy.
My favorite ones are that my son doesn't actually need accommodations, I just want attention, and that he just needs to get over that he won't always be able to hear in class. Apparently I should be having another student repeat every word to him during an assembly, because that is so much more discrete than just making sure he sits on the right side of the room.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:20 am
My favorite ones are that my son doesn't actually need accommodations, I just want attention, and that he just needs to get over that he won't always be able to hear in class. Apparently I should be having another student repeat every word to him during an assembly, because that is so much more discrete than just making sure he sits on the right side of the room.

You lost a lot of credibility after your SIL's "class experiment" post last year. You shouldn't be surprised when other members don't take your posts seriously.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:19 pm

You lost a lot of credibility after your SIL's "class experiment" post last year. You shouldn't be surprised when other members don't take your posts seriously.
Oh please, this member and others have been riding my posts and arguing with everything I say long before that post. One single post a year ago where I made up a hypothetical situation, told everyone it wasn't true an hour after, and explained the purpose of the made up situation did nothing to change how this member views me.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Oh please, this member and others have been riding my posts and arguing with everything I say long before that post. One single post a year ago where I made up a hypothetical situation, told everyone it wasn't true an hour after, and explained the purpose of the made up situation did nothing to change how this member views me.

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt until that post. So were some others. That post , as far as I'm concerned, proved the suspicions that some have had about you for a long time.

Don't play victim over a situation you created.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Once a liar always a liar.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:53 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:44 am This seems so weird to me. My DS has learning disabilities, fine motor issues & a permanent ocular strabismus. I could not imagine a teacher highlighting his differences. So I find it difficult to imagine.
To be fair the mother highlighted it first when she emailed the teacher.
Lena enjoys drawing attention to herself and her fake family so she can complain about discrimination.
Locked Previous topicNext topic